5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tries to fire but won't

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:17 PM
samsonhusky
2nd Gear Member

Default Tries to fire but won't

I have a 87 5.0. I have new fuel pump and filter less than a year old, I put in before the trouble started, run fine after it was installed. It isn't ready for the road yet so it seats up from time to time and i'll run it maybe 1 or 2 times a month for 20 min are so. I noticed it was starting to get harder to start over time and today want start at all. I had some bad converters on it which I pulled off today thinking that might be the trouble but wasn.t it. It's getting spark and will spit and sputter sometimes when trying but want run any ideas. And what is the easiest way to check if it's getting enough fuel. Thanks
Old 04-02-2011, 03:30 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Do a fuel pressure check. Unless it has a sealed line there should be a port somewhere on the fuel rail to attach a gauge. If the fuel pressure is good and your sure you have proper spark then I'd check the compression on each cylinder.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:51 AM
87fordgt

Sounds like your pump went bad slowly to me. I second the fuel pressure gauge. The port for it is on the passenger side of the motor near the front of the fuel rail. Should be 38lbs. Mine ran on 30lbs, so anywhere in between would indicate that the pump is actually working.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:19 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

You can get a fuel pressure gauge at your local auto parts store for prob $20. In the event your not sure how I'll give the general idea.

Connect the gauge to the fuel port.
Relieve any pressure currently in the line by depressing the button on the gauge (let any fuel leak into an appropriate container)

Turn your ignition key to the "on" position and let the fuel pump up, but do not start the car yet. Check your gauge and get the PSI that shows. Afterward you can relieve the fuel pressure again.

I would do this at least twice.

The last time you check your fuel pressure, do a leak down test. Wait a couple mins before relieving the pressure and see how long it takes for the fuel pressure in the line to drop.

Last test, check your fuel pressure while the car is idling. Just start the car and check your fuel gauge while the car is at an idle. After doing so turn the car off. Make sure you relieve the fuel pressure before removing the gauge from the port so fuel doesn't spray in your face.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Autotech

I would like to suggest spraying some starting fluid in it while cranking the engine over and your foot on the gas pedal(2 people) and see if it starts and runs on the starting fluid. If it doesn't you can quit looking at the fuel and start looking at the spark and compression side of it.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:16 PM
samsonhusky
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the feed back everyone I got it going. The tps was not set right so it was running to rich guess after awhile it just messed the plugs up. I set the tps like it should be, then pulled the plugs out cleaned them up and it fired right up. Second time I did this with the plugs first time I just replaced them because it wouldn't start. Wasn't thinking it was the plugs again untill I realize on the efi you have to adjust the tps when you move the idle screw. (Oh yeah autotech it would run with starter fluid, guess the plugs had enough spark for that but not enough for gas I know sounds stupid but that's what happened.)

Last edited by samsonhusky; 04-22-2011 at 06:19 PM.