V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

STANG MAKES NOISE WHEN TURNING...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM
my99needsFixin

Default STANG MAKES NOISE WHEN TURNING...

Hey fellas,

Need some help. As the title says im hearing some SERIOUS noise from the front of my car (99 stang/v6/105k miles) when turning left and right. And only when turning, never driving straight. This problem seemingly came out of nowhere, just started one day mildly, then grew louder/rougher. Its a very loud rubbing, squealing sound, the tighter I turn the louder the pitch of the sound. I let my buddy hop in for a ride and to listen and he said it was the strut mounts...

Bought new strut mounts, took the old ones off and looked at em...the damn things didnt look bad at all! No joke, almost looked like the new ones, if it wasnt for the little dirt and debris on em. Im not sure if this is my problem...????? Please, suggestions?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:06 PM
3.0Taurass
3rd Gear Member

tie rod ends. sounds like a angry guy with a squeegie right?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:25 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Squealing sound could be power steering pump going out, low fluid or a loose belt.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 PM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the power steering pump. Just had the same thing so I toped of the resevore with Lucas power steering stop leak. Now it's super quiet and more responsive.

Not sure why your buddy thought it was the strut mounts. They have nothing to do with the wheel turning.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Guitar
1st Gear Member

Mine did this for a while, then stopped....seeemingly the weather is changing it on and off.

On that note, mine also squeaks until clutch is pushed in (belt)...not sure what that means.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:21 AM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

Thats normal when its cold. All the metal parts contract and fluids become thicker.

Originally Posted by Guitar
On that note, mine also squeaks until clutch is pushed in (belt)...not sure what that means.
Sounds like something behind the clutch on the drive-train, maybe something like a transmission bearing.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:19 AM
my99needsFixin

thanks to those who replied...

I checked power steering fluid, its where it should be. Doubt its a loose belt, just replaced that 3 months ago, brand new. As for the actual power steering pump going out...still a mystery, is there an easy way to test?

However, I am dumb founded at what took place a day or two ago. Went to go pick up my girlfriend, 30 mile trip there and back. First time I drove the car that day. I decided to not take the highway so I was doing alot of city driving/turns. Car didnt make a sound!!! WTF!!! Like there was nothing wrong at all! Acutally had to turn off the radio and LISTEN for the annoying noise. Heard nothing. I was shocked......got home, parked it for the night. Very next morning drove to work, guess what....yup, the exact same noise started again. This is a sign of whats wrong but I cant figure it out...?

Some other little things I noticed....When I idol, like sitting at a red light or something and I barely turn the wheel left OR right it makes the noise. Im almost certain the noise is coming predominently from the driver side.

Honestly, the sound that this is making makes me think its my brake shoe(s) grinding against something when I make turns...? Something of that nature, I HEAR grinding during all this. As in METAL on METAL.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:40 PM
neo8222
4th Gear Member

to the OP: i would guess the power steering pump first. mustang pumps have issues with being loud as hell when they start to wear out.

Originally Posted by Guitar
Mine did this for a while, then stopped....seeemingly the weather is changing it on and off.

that's your throw out bearing. usually when those start to go out your best off just replacing the whole clutch setup because labor for going in there will kill you for a $20 part
Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 AM
my99needsFixin

Originally Posted by neo8222
to the OP: i would guess the power steering pump first. mustang pumps have issues with being loud as hell when they start to wear out.
I feel more and more that it is just my power steering pump going out. The way I see it...if at IDOL, I turn my wheel left/right and its producing the same terrible noise then that eliminates any chance it can come from a suspension problem, brakes as well. Leaving pretty much only the power steering pump to blame....but hey, im no mechanic. Anyone else agree? Please, Feedback.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 AM
blue stang
2nd Gear Member

I'm 99% sure it's your power steering pump. If adding fluid didn't quiet it then it's time for a rebuilt or new one. Make sure the power steering fluid is flushed when the pump is replaced. This way you remove all the metal shavings the pump has left behind.

Originally Posted by blue stang
Sounds like something behind the clutch on the drive-train, maybe something like a transmission bearing.
LMAO... Just to set the record straight I meant throwout bearing. Must have been spaced out.

Quick Reply: STANG MAKES NOISE WHEN TURNING...