Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Style/Light Bar Installation

Old 04-23-2010, 04:18 PM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

Default Style/Light Bar Installation

After looking through threads, the CDC bar seems to be the most recommended. My question is, how many out there were self installed versus dealer installed? Is it a DIY project. I was OK with online instructions until it referred to drilling out brackets for mounting to avoid interfering with the shoulder belt mechanism and catching the shavings with a magnet so they didn't screw up the top mechanism. I thought, other than drilling a hole for the posts the rest was bolt on, apparently not? Anybody with experience and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can handle working with tools, but I'm no master mechanic.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:55 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

im a violin teacher, and i did the install myself... very rewarding and not hard at all. installing the brackets as you stated was really easy....

i say go for it!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:21 AM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the encouragement JD. As I said when I saw the parts about drilling out things it gave me a scare, everything else seemed straight forward. Was yours the CDC bar with light?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:55 AM
09cs
5th Gear Member

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, then you may want to have the dealer do it. But if you're comfortable doing it yourself go for it!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

It's not that difficult. Just take your time and you'll be fine. Make sure you have good drill bits to use, where you'll be drilling will take forever with a poor bit. I didn't worry with a magnet, I just covered up around the area I would be drilling with a couple of old towels.

I've put light bars in both New Edges and S-197's. The S-197 is a breeze compared to the New Edge.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:36 PM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

Did you all go with the Classic Design Light bar or the Stack racing Style bar. Other than the light they seem to be identical, any experience or research available. Sounds like a DIY project, but trying to figure out the $130 difference in price. Thanks for the input so far.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:49 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

my CDC bar was a dealer installed accessory
Old 05-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by majik755
Did you all go with the Classic Design Light bar or the Stack racing Style bar. Other than the light they seem to be identical, any experience or research available. Sounds like a DIY project, but trying to figure out the $130 difference in price. Thanks for the input so far.
I've only had experience with the CDC Light Bar. However, the Stack brand of bar seems to be the exact same thing even down to the brackets. If I had to pick up another, I'd probably lean towards trying the Stack bar out.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

I put mine on a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was pretty easy. The CDC light bar is well made, and fits very tight. The bar is very sturdy, I think my grand kids could sit on it or swing on it. Even the wiring was pretty straight forward, with no splicing. One thing I did a little different. Instructions say to mark 4 new holes, drill pilot holes, and then enlarge. I took the 2 bolts out (on each side) that you use, then put the bracket on, and THEN drilled the 2 extra bolt holes. Seemed like a better way to get the holes in just the right place. Just take your time, and do everything right the first time. Everyone who's seen it, just love the looks. Makes the car look much more sporty, if that's possible. Very factory fit and finish.
Here's another tip: If you're thinking about putting in a trunk release button, now's the time to do it. I put mine in the center consul, and then ran the control wire over to the already exposed wire bundle, then same bundle that contains the brake light wires. Saved me from having to remove the front kick panel, and door sill. Plus, I think it's more handy in the center consul, than by the front glove box. Did both jobs in about 3.5 hours. I don't get in a hurry, if I did, about 2 hours max. Check the pictures out at my CP album. Terry
PS Stack versus CDC. My wife got rear ended last summer, she insisted I spend the extra money for the CDC with the brake light. It really is bright at night.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM
keeno
2nd Gear Member

I just installed the Stack Racing bar in my 06. Very easy install, however my instructions said nothing about catching the metal shavings from drilling the bracket holes. Now my pass side retractor is stuck. It wont let out any slack at all. It is locked down. How can I get the tensioner to release? It probably does have metal shavings down in it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Style/Light Bar Installation