4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

American Muscle wheels vibration problem

Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Default American Muscle wheels vibration problem

Anyone else have wheels from AM? I got a set of the saleens, put brand new toyos on them and the thing shakes like all hell on the highway now. Used to be perfectly smooth on the factory wheels with Nokians. Is this the nature of the cheap chinese wheels, or should I expect a little more, I kinda figured they would be better than this to be honest; I really doubt it's the tires. I work at a tires dealer and they guys know how **** I am so they balenced the wheels/tires perfect, but they still shake. Any ideas?

The only other thing was I put my Eibach Pro kit (just the springs for now) on at the same time. I'll be getting an alignment next week, but I doubt that would have anything to do with it, could it?

Summary/Solution:

Well a VERY long 4 month 14 wheel story short, the wheels are chinese and the chinese cannot be trusted haha. American Muscle while some things could have been handled differently, came through in the end and made it right. They're a great bunch and I will definitely buy their products again.

The problem the whole time were that the wheels were not true. To anybody who has this problem, the first thing you HAVE to do and maybe even before you mount the tires the first time, is spin the wheels on the balancer to make sure they spin true. If they wobble bad, send them back, if it's just a hair they're fine and you can run them. Any questions in the future please feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help out.

Hope this thread helps someone else out in the future and that they don't have to go through what I did.

Amendment from post 248... I will never order from these guys again. End of story. The wheels are complete junk and they promise things and do not come through, as seen by many bbb filed complaints. I will be ordering from other vendors from now on, there are so many out there I'm not getting hung up on just one who can't even hold true to their word.

Last edited by 69MustangCoupe393cid; 04-11-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Get an alignment and have your wheels balanced. And make sure your have the right lug nuts!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 AM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Tire balancing is used to balance not only the tire, but also the wheel. I would have them rebalanced.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:57 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I got my rims and tires from AM, and i have the pro kit as well (stock suspension for now too) and have no issues at all. When i went for my alignment the guy told me everything was within spec, and i was good to go.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Did you remove the silly washers on the hub?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine
Did you remove the silly washers on the hub?
I'm gunna say no, because I don't know what the hell that is haha what are they and where are they?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:11 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KillJoy
Tire balancing is used to balance not only the tire, but also the wheel. I would have them rebalanced.
Yeah that's why I was suprised it was so far off. I'll try going to another store we have with a better newer balencer. I'll do the alignment first though.

Originally Posted by kugzgt
Get an alignment and have your wheels balanced. And make sure your have the right lug nuts!
I have the black lug nuts from AM, those are correct right? haha
Old 04-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

On your hub wheel studs came a silly little washer or two on the one or more of the studs. If there are any on. Take them off.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:54 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Your car needs an alignment. That is the reason the car is shaking like it is.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:36 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Alignments wont really cause a shake unless its freakin driving sideways. Is the shake at higher speeds 50+? If so, Get the tires balanced with a good machine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: American Muscle wheels vibration problem