Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Steeda vs Airaid vs JLT - which cold air is best?? Look here

Old 04-27-2011, 02:34 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Default Steeda vs Airaid vs JLT - which cold air is best?? Look here

No, this is not a "STEEDA is the best" thread. So read on for some really good info!

A few months ago there was a similar thread which I believe got deleted cause I could not find it anymore. Myself and a few others questioned the results of that thread, as it showed one of the intakes with tuning to make less power in the midrange than a stock car which is not true, it also showed one of the intakes making a ton of low end power over the others which was also incorrect.

We knew from our own data for this to be incorrect. Our argument was that these intakes are all close and you really can't go wrong with any one of them. But for the data to be valid for presentation we needed to do pulls on the same car, same day, same dyno. Our data at the time was scattered and not from the same cars, days, etc. Only from the same dyno.

So a few weeks ago we finally got the intakes together for our own shootout, same car, same day, same dyno, etc......

The tunes for this test were setup so timing and fuel were completely stable & consistent, so the differences between just the cold air systems themselves would be revealed. We did not have a stock intake for this car to test, so we baselined the Steeda system with tuning, then swapped each intake, modified the tune to accomodate each intake and made another pull.

So did our shootout back up what we were saying all along???

Yes, it did. As you can see, you really can't go wrong with any of these intake systems. They all make comparable levels of horsepower and torque across the entire RPM range.

As we had argued in the past, due to its size the JLT trades off a little bit of low end torque, however to the average user this difference would not be perceptible. Any of these intakes given the same tuning will essentially feel and perform about the same. I am sure some of the JLT's torque loss down low could be minimized with further tuning, but that was not the intent for this test and would have skewed the results. We wanted to show what the intakes themselves will do compared to each other.

So the conclusion? Choose your cold air intake based on your personal preference, because from a performance standpoint, you will not be disappointed by any of the ones in this thread.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 PM
redvertstang
2nd Gear Member

I guess this puts the dilemma to rest. Thank you.

One thing, you can pull 404HP on a stock 5.0 with just a CAI and a tune?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:03 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by redvertstang
I guess this puts the dilemma to rest. Thank you.

One thing, you can pull 404HP on a stock 5.0 with just a CAI and a tune?
If its a manual trans, yes, we've had cars make even more than that.

Automatics will see less.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:29 AM
redvertstang
2nd Gear Member

I see. What hp should I see with the new 5.0 auto stock with just the steeda CAI and the tune?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:48 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the post! this is what I like to see FACTUAL information, not he said/she said fiction that is everywhere.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Great validation, TY.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Has the age old question that's been asked 10 million times finally been answered?!?!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by redvertstang
I see. What hp should I see with the new 5.0 auto stock with just the steeda CAI and the tune?
Automatics typically see mid 380's to the wheels with cold air and tune on a dynojet.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Alec
Has the age old question that's been asked 10 million times finally been answered?!?!
I hope so! LOL
Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 AM
NealAtTheWheel5.0

I dyno'd 395 to the wheels with the steeda intake and steeda 93 tune and corsa xtreme axlebacks (not a significant difference with the corsa's I know) on a dynojet with a manual... wanted to break 400, but oh well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steeda vs Airaid vs JLT - which cold air is best?? Look here