Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2012 GT auto transmission problem?

Old 04-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Spanx

Default 2012 GT auto transmission problem?

I have had my 2012 Gt for 2 weeks now and have put a little over 1000 miles on it. Today as I started it up and put it into drive it waited about 2 seconds then clunked into gear. I pulled out onto the road and accelerated at a regular speed and it ussually shifts out of first very quickly, this time it let it rev all the way to 3000 rpm's and then shifted and the service light then came on. After this one shift it drove normally all the way to the dealership with no other problems. I turned the car off at the dealership and told them i needed to have it checked. They went out started the car and the light was not on anymore so they pulled it to the back to pulll the code. One of the service people then called me in and said I may have been reving the car too high because the code came up "incorrect gear ratio". I then had to explain exactly what happened so they wouldn't think I was abusing the car. Has anyone else had the same problem or even know why a "incorrect gear ratio" code would come up? They said if it happens again they will have to look into it further but I don't think they really knew what the problem was.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Spanx

Well it has been a week and the light has not come on again but has clunked into gear a few times since. I am going to drive it over the weekend and see how it goes and if it still is doing it they said they will take it in and see if they can figure the problem out.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

weird, ive never heard of anyone having any issues with it (unless they have an aftermarket tune that doesn't shift at the proper times)
Old 04-22-2011, 08:32 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Very odd indeed. Certainly not a common error among the new auto transmissions. Mine hasn't had any issues with clunking or error lights. When I shift into drive, or even drive in manual mode on the transmission, it's really smooth actually (shocking how smooth it feels)
Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Spanx

Update-Clunked into gear again and the light came on again last night, I turned the car off then started it back up and the light went off. Called the dealership today, waiting on a call back.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

you are holding the brake down and not giving it gas before you put it into D right? also, on my 2007 it revs up a bit when i first start it, i let it settle down (under 2,000rpm) before I put it into R or D or i also get a clunk, but that is because of high revs.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Spanx

I am holding the brake and also waiting for it to rev down. It ussually doesn't do it in the mornings when its cold only during the day after it has warmed up and then started later during the day.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:49 PM
ZycieAlexandra

Not sure if my story will be relevant but I'm having a similar problem right now. I've had my 2012 GT for about a week and it has around 250 miles on it. I would say I've been somewhat easy on it. I drove it earlier today and took off quickly after a couple red lights. Later, the stereo was left on for too long and naturally the battery died (yeah, I know, not the smartest move ever but I was busy doing something else). I put the car in neutral to roll it down the driveway so I could get a different car out of the garage. I let the car sit for about an hour and it finally got enough charge to start. I then took it for a ride to charge up my battery a little more. I wasn't pushing the engine at all. When I got home I went to park it and it was shifting really hard (jumping) from drive to reverse (and vice versa). The car was at a complete stop when I was doing this. I'm hoping it drives well tomorrow but I'm going to take it in if I'm able to get off work. We'll see what the guy's in the service shop got to tell me.

Oh yeah, not to mention it has been raining here in Michigan for a few good days now and on last Thursday one of my windshield wipers just decided to stop working while it was raining. No big deal really, the wiper that wasn't working somehow stripped itself off the wiper rod from the motor. I fixed it easily by taking the wiper off and then screwing it on the threads tighter. It sucks to have this stuff happen after only having the car for a few days now but that's okay cause I still love it.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

The dead battery car may just have to relearn your driving style so it shifts smooth.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Spanx

Mine is only doing it from P to R or P to D, I haven't had it do it from R to D or D to R. I have left 3 messages with the dealership I bought it from and have not heard anything back yet. It didn't do it through the whole weekend or today. I have started pressing the brake pedal a little harder when I put it into gear, I don't know if that is what is helping or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 GT auto transmission problem?