Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

2000 Roush stalling problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Roushstangcharged

Default 2000 Roush stalling problems

hello. i recently bought a 2000 roush stage 2 with a super charger dropped into it in '04 with only about 48k miles on it. before i bought it and took it for a test drive the car ran fine. the person i bought it from said that he dropped a new fuel pump in it but since february, he's probably only put 3-4 tanks of gas in it because he wasn't around to drive it. it was taken to a dealership and diagnostics were ran on it months before with no problems showing up. well recently after driving it for awhile, the car would stall, start to putter (like it's trying to stay on) then die. Would this be the cause of a bad fuel filter from maybe bad gas sitting in it? i can only go off words on what he said from how many tanks of gas he put in it of course. also, the forward A/C vents don't seem to be blowing any air but the defroster does blow air (although particules seem to come out of it). Of course my first concern would be to find out why my car is stalling out after being able to drive it around town for a little while and seeming like it didn't have any trouble. Thank you much for any advice.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

Working backwards, the vent issue is usually just the line popping off of the back of the HVAC control panal. It's a pretty straight forward fix: pull the panal out, find the line off and hook it up again.

The stalling does sound like it's fuel related. Maybe water/moisture in the tank from sitting so long??
Old 06-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Roushstangcharged

that's what i've been told so i'm hoping that it might only be a fuel related problem but i'm just trying to make sure that's all it might be. the guy said that he's only put maybe 3-4 tanks of fuel in it since februrary but that's just going off of what he said. he dropped a new fuel pump in it and took it to a dealership to run checks on the car and said that there were no problems but of course he didn't say when and at the moment, it slipped my mind to ask. it sorta runs like this...after starting the car and taking it out for about an hour, that's why the car will start to jerk and "putter" like it's trying to stay on. on occasion it'll happen maybe a few minutes after start up but i'll turn it off then back on and it'll start again. i drove it around the neighborhood just for a few minutes last night after being out and it stalled out with the THEFT light blinking and took a few turns to get it to start again. also when turning on the A/C it'll make the idle in the car worse. I'm not too savvy when it comes to working on cars but i figured this is the best description i could give to finding out the problem. if it isn't a fuel related issue i'm not sure what else it could be. thank you for the welcome and the reply also
Old 06-28-2011, 12:26 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

A/C will draw on the motor, so when it kicks on you'll feel it a bit.

The stalling issue might be a dirty fuel filter. Symptoms fit that as well. As you drive, it's getting clogged under pressure. When it stalls and pressure drops, sediment falls off the filter and you can start it up and go after a little bit.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Roushstangcharged

oh ok i understand. i'm going to start by changing the fuel filter as suggested. i just took it up to a state inspection station to see if i can just get it to pass. it died out within the first couple seconds of starting it before i even left my house a few times. thanks a lot for the info. i'll post again once i change the filter in hopes that it's only a small issue as that. if not i'll come back on and post some updates