Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2012 5.0 #8 failure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Baghera

Default 2012 5.0 #8 failure?

So I did a search and didn't find anything on this, does anyone have any input on the 2012 5.0's? Eco-Boosts are rumored to having some issues with the plug porcelain breaking and falling down only to trapped by the "J" strap resulting in preignition. Maybe the 5.0 and Eco-Boost share the same plug and therefore the same problem, just a thought.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

There is an issue with the #8 cylinder faulting.
Just a few threads down from this one is the subject. Its titled TSB something #8 cylinder failure.

I have heard NOTHING about the #8 cylinder fail on the new 5.0's being due to this.
Ford it stating it has to do with mods being done to the car and also aftermarket tunes.

But some people are saying it has happened with stock vehicles.
Again never have heard of it being due to a breakage of the plug with the new 5.0's.
Plus the cylinder head of the 5.0 and a V6 should be shaped differently.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Sorry man, but you couldn't have searched to hard. That's been the top of discussion for 2 weeks.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Baghera

Actually I did do a search for 2012's and this issue and found no matches but a search for 2011 did show the above mentioned thread about the #8 piston failures. I looked through all 10 pages and didn't find any mention of a 2012, maybe I overlooked one. If not, maybe the 2012's have a different strategy where the knock sensors are concerned.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:04 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

There were no 2012 engine changes, so all 2011 engine issues will apply to the 2012 just for future reference

You should know though, that issues with the #8 cylinder are seemingly pretty rare even among tuned mustangs. Actual materialized examples are few and far between, however discussion over the threat of Ford invalidating warranties is abundant.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

The only thing I have actually heard about #8 piston filure in the Coyote is a TSB issued by ford, TSB-11-07-07.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...n-failure.html

Just as mentioned above, I have not heard of an actual case happening. Hell, I must be hiding under a rock because I have not even heard about it on the internet.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:19 AM
Taskiss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
The only thing I have actually heard about #8 piston filure in the Coyote is a TSB issued by ford, TSB-11-07-07.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...n-failure.html

Just as mentioned above, I have not heard of an actual case happening. Hell, I must be hiding under a rock because I have not even heard about it on the internet.
There's someone going around making wild claims about his #8 and how Ford is blacklisting him, but he's all over the map with his claims, first was his car was stock, then not, then all sorts of FUD about engines having rings put on upside down... Can't believe a word out of this guy "19cobra99" myself. Typical troll posts, in my opinion.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Taskiss
There's someone going around making wild claims about his #8 and how Ford is blacklisting him, but he's all over the map with his claims, first was his car was stock, then not, then all sorts of FUD about engines having rings put on upside down... Can't believe a word out of this guy "19cobra99" myself. Typical troll posts, in my opinion.
Where did you hear Ford was "blacklisting" him?
And what are you referencing this guy too? I dont see "19cobra99" in the thread you linked anywhere.
Where did you get his name from? Is there a thread you can link with him in it?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-15-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Where did you hear Ford was "blacklisting" him?
And what are you referencing this guy too? I dont see "19cobra99" in the thread you linked anywhere.
Where did you get his name from? Is there a thread you can link with him in it?
S197 forums

I wouldn't say the guy got blacklisted, but his warranty was definitely voided. Also, don't believe anything the guy says bad about ford. He's been making up rumors and editing posts. He admitted to having a tune on the car before and returning it to stock after he had a problem and taking it to ford which then did extensive research to void his warranty. Honestly some of the research was incorrect, but his warranty is voided nonetheless.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Very complicated stuff.

Even if he did lie if he went to court they might say ford had to prove that the tune caused the failure to the cylinder.
BUT even if the 5.0 can't handle aftermarket stuff well.. which nobody wants to hear... they could very well prove the tune is what caused the cylinder to fail, even though it failed because the engine cannot handle aftermarket mods well all the time.
Even if the car is not built to handle mods like we want it to.

I wonder when all is set and done what we will find out is causing this problem to happen.
think about it though... even if the tunes are causing it to happen, if ford built a motor that could not handle aftermarket mods well that is their right. They dont' HAVE to build
a car to handle aftermarket mods.

Which again I know no one wants the 5.0 to be a car that cannot handle the aftermarket mods well.

But this is interesting due to the fact that so many 5.0's are runnnig fine and right now it seems to be a small percentage with this problem.
That opens up a whole nother can of worms.
WOW. This is just too clustered right now to tell what we will find out about the 5.0 in the future one way or another.

I'd say in the end Ford has the upper hand. The only thing that would go against them is if stock engines started to do this, and they might have some trouble then, or at least the
customer of a failed motor would have an argument, even if it was still a losing argument lol.

In the end it may end up so that most 5.0's do run fine... but there is MORE of a risk of something going wrong than with other Mustang engines
and people have to take a little more thought into deciding whether they want to mod or not.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-15-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 5.0 #8 failure?