Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
View Poll Results: multiple choice.. Tick tick tick? What do you think VOTE
it's normal.. You are now the proud owner of a timex
23.08%
a ticking engine? whats normal about that?
7.69%
my 2011..2012 ticks too
30.77%
My 2011.. 2012 has never ticked
53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Is the tick normal or is that BS

Old 07-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Sleeper5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Is the tick normal or is that BS

Well the dealer informed me that the tick tick tick metallic sound my NEW car makes is normal....
What do yall think?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:24 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Umm, you need to be more specific. Are you talking about right after you turn it off and the exhaust starts to cool down? Yes, that would be normal.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:32 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

If I have the same tick you're talking about, then it isn't the ticking that happens after you turn it off coming from the exhaust cooling. I've only noticed mine at idle since it's fairly quiet, mostly when I'm out of the car, you can hear it coming from under the car in my case, usually pretty regular and hardly audible for me unless you're in a place where the sound can echo back like the garage.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Wow surprised this guy has not checked back in.
I'd be checking soon after I posted if I was hearing a tick and did not know if it was normal or not lol
Old 07-16-2011, 03:16 AM
Sleeper5.0
1st Gear Member

Well let me explain... After my car gets warm.. While it is idling,my car ticks.. It is worse when the a/c is running.. I am guessing the little load makes it worse..?
I took it to the dealer cause of a no start issue where they just re flashed the ecm or whatever they call it now( there was a TSB for the issue)... Mentioned this tick to them.. They looked at it.. Suppose to be a characteristic of the engine.. That's what I am told buy the dealers foreman... He said it was cause of all the chains and moving cams..
I have my own theory.. Once the oil gets hot.. It isn't lubricating a part of the rotating assy on these heads correctly on some engines.. IDK I didn't design the thing... Sounds like a bear metal tick...

Till a TSB or Ford recognizes it a problem.. There is no fix.. They are deeming it the engine.. Mechanics now working on flag time don't troubleshoot.. They are unsure what is making the tick, but willing to speculate . BTW I know what a injector sounds like.. It is not that..

Here is a Video.. Mine sounds like this... Morse code is what I call it.. It's not perfectly rhythmic...http://youtu.be/jB-F409uegg

Last edited by Sleeper5.0; 07-16-2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:21 AM
Sleeper5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
If I have the same tick you're talking about, then it isn't the ticking that happens after you turn it off coming from the exhaust cooling. I've only noticed mine at idle since it's fairly quiet, mostly when I'm out of the car, you can hear it coming from under the car in my case, usually pretty regular and hardly audible for me unless you're in a place where the sound can echo back like the garage.
Sounds like mine. Mine isn't cooling headers. I noticed mine against a wall too. I posted a video that is similar . It sounds like... Well crap... It sounds bad.. I hate it, but seems stuck with it awhile less I figure out a fix on my own...
Old 07-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Did you say there WAS a TSB on this?
If so and you have the symptoms the NO it is not normal.
In that case take it to another dealership that gives a flip about it's customers.
Get them to perform the service procedure that the TSB says to do.

Dont fall for them brushing you off man. DONT do it.
And if you could post me a link for the TSB. I'd like to read it.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:58 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

It's a countdown Sir.
GET OUT OF THE CAR AND RUN, RUN!!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

well i didn't see a vid in your original post so i voted saying that was normal. after hearing that vid that isn't like the ticking I have at all.. we have big injectors, big injectors tick. but I don't think that is what mine sound like.. I'll have to go take a listen sometime today.

also.. bear metal?

Old 07-16-2011, 10:54 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

There is a TSB for ticking lifters in the V6. It was an oiling issue to the cam followers. It affected only cars with engines assembled during a short span of time in 2010. The fix was for the dealer to put the cams and use a tool provided by Ford to machine an oil groove in the cam bearing blocks on the assembled engine. (or something like that).

I haven't heard of any such issue with the 5.0, but anything is possible.

Is it normal? Could be. Engines make funny noises. Some we hear, some we don't. You have a 5 yr, 50K mile warranty. Stop stressing over it. Document your report with the dealer and keep an eye out for a TSB. Now go have fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the tick normal or is that BS