General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Fox Body VS SN95

Old 11-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default Fox Body VS SN95

I have been actively looking for a car for my 17 y/o daughter, Crystal, and we can't agree on what to get -- a Foxbody V8 vs SN95 V8. I prefer the SN95 because I believe parts overall are more accessible and it has a more modern interior. Her guy friends and father are trying to convince me to get a Foxbody.

From what I have seen here around town and on the internet, a good, clean Foxbody 5.0 costs just as much as a 94-95 5.0 so I am leaning towards the SN95. I am not concerned about the insurance at this point, just reliability to get my daughter to school and work safely.

We found a decent looking 85 Fox 5.0 with a sunroof yesterday at a car lot and it looks like it has at least 300K miles on it. Considering its age, we are hoping it has a relatively new engine in it, but won't know until we test drive it on Monday. From what I can tell, the rear bumper is not original because there is yellow paint exposed and the front bumper has a crack in it which is livable. The interior looks like it has been taken care of.

My husband says we should jump on it if the price is right. I told him we'll see and that if he likes it that much that he should buy it for himself and race it. Believe it or not he said HE JUST MIGHT! Crystal and I are always talking about mustangs so I guess he got mustang fever from just listening to us!

My daughter is the one paying for the vehicle so she'll have to keep it for at least 2-3 years. We are not in a rush to purchase a car since we have until June. I am a very picky person and try to get most bang for the buck.

I would really appreciate it if you would give me some REALLY GOOD REASONS for purchasing a Fox vs. SN95, and your opinions should not necessarily relate to the above described car. They should relate to ANY CAR that we may consider in the future.

Thanks!

Denise
Old 11-06-2005, 02:24 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Fox Body VS SN95

Hm, to most people at least, a SN95 looks better than a fox body.
Sn95 has 5-lug wheels, 4 wheel antilock disc brakes, airbags (i'm not sure if the 93-earlier do or dont)

If you go the fox body way, make sure it's fuel injected... carbeurators (sp) arent really the most fun things to work with.

Also, dont just think about the engine when you're looking into buying cars. A very high mileage car will most likely need it suspension gone through... which can cost upwards of $1000

Parts are just as easily accessible for both SN95 and Fox bodies, although there is more of an aftermarket for bolt on engine parts for the fox body... but these can usually be adapted to the SN95

And remember, when you test drive the car, bring someone along who isnt invested in the car (who doesnt think it's the best thing on the face of the earth) and take their honest opinion... the little things that you might ignore or not see will be blatantly obvious to them
Old 11-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Cain8768
1st Gear Member

i would personally go with the SN95. i have a 95 GT and love it, i like the lines better for the street and show, but if i were to go to the track i would be driving a fox (it just has that bas a$$ look about it).
Also i like that it is fuel injected rather than a carb, you can work with a carb more but the fuel injection is a little more reliable in my opinion.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:43 PM
StrokemyNotch
2nd Gear Member

Your going to buy a v8 for a 17 year old???? get her a v6 stang, and the 94+ do have airbags and 4 wheel brakes and safer then the older foxes. I ve been alot of close calls and even minor accidents in my fox, i m lucky i m a lil older and wiser now.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:53 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StrokemyNotch

Your going to buy a v8 for a 17 year old???? get her a v6 stang, and the 94+ do have airbags and 4 wheel brakes and safer then the older foxes. I ve been alot of close calls and even minor accidents in my fox, i m lucky i m a lil older and wiser now.
And yeah, about the v8 thing... i was 17 when i got my first car ('67 mustang.... 200ci six cylinder) And it was slow. However, i still managed to drive it like a race car. Kinda. A year later i sold it and got my 94 GT. I'll just say i got 13 mpg for a reason. And of course, my parents were all "omg you're such a good driver" because i went like 5 under whenever they were in the car.

It can be done, but most people will destroy themselves with a v8 in their first car, sometimes not even because they want to go fast or kick the tail out around a corner... or do a 3 minute long burnout.... but because they can.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StrokemyNotch

Why not? I learned how to drive with a V8 when I was 17 -- an LTD. I realize that it was a boat compared to a sports car. I have taught her that whatever car she gets, it's a weapon and how dangerous it is. If she wants to drive fast, she will, no matter which type of car she has. They all go up to 120 mph or more. I feel that if she has a really nice looking car, interior/exterior wise, and she pays for it herself completely, she will take better care of it. I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE HER A CAR. I told her that if she wrecks it, she will not have a way to get to work or college next year. Plain and simple.

Not only that people on the forum have voiced that the V6 has had engine problems and I really don't want to deal with that.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Cain8768
1st Gear Member

same way that i was brought up...got to respect the power!
where you from?
Old 11-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

I am living now in Warner Robins, GA. I still consider myself a California girl because I have lived the majority of my life in Sacramento. California is still considered home even after living here for 8 years. I hate the weather and the fire ants here!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for the day I have the opportunity to leave.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Cain8768
1st Gear Member

i live in illinois, born and raised. hope to make it out to cali eventually but dont know when.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:48 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I can't wait to get to cali too. I hear the streets are paved with cheese!

If I were looking for a 5.0, I would look for whichever one was in better condition. They both have their good and bad sides, but I'd go fox. The fox is lighter and smaller and probably a little easier to drive as a first car, but it's gonna be a little older and more likely higher mileage. Parts for foxes are cheaper than the sn95's too. The later lx's are purdy, that's for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fox Body VS SN95