Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Am I Dreaming?!? Better Fuel Economy with Bama Tune and Intake???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:21 AM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Am I Dreaming?!? Better Fuel Economy with Bama Tune and Intake???

I have a '11 5.0 that was just lowered yesterday (pic below). I filled up my car on Monday (7 days ago). I would normally be going to the gas station today to fill it up, but something is much much different. My gas gauge is reading between 1/4 tank and half. I have been driving as normal with a few hard pushes here and there and the electronic reader still says I have 94 miles to E. Here's the kicker: Yesterday I drove my car an extra 70 miles round-trip to get the eibach prokit installed and I am still between 1/4 and half tank. It's pretty amazing if you ask me.

Am I reading something wrong? Has anyone had better fuel economy with the bama tune and Steeda CAI intake on race mode with 93 octane?? Please let me know. I am really impressed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6766249...in/photostream

Last edited by yankeehick5.0; 09-18-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Souldriver
1st Gear Member

well as long as nothing is sticking...
I went with tillman and i should have gone brenspeed or bama. 93 octane will give you a little bit more mileage than regular 89 but i dont think it will be huge. whats average mpg now?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:06 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
2nd Gear Member

I'd fill up and figure out your mileage that way (miles driven / gallons put in). You can get your true mpg that way and you won't run out of gas if your gauge is screwed.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First of all, what's the hand-calculated value this tank vs previous tanks? Without that data, you'll never be able to make a good comparison.

Secondly, you need to make a few dozen fill-ups and compare that data to the previous few dozen or more. Even then, it's a crap shoot because each tank full isn't driven identical the the previous others; each tankful isn't the same ratio of straight fuel to ethanol; temperature conditions are different; yada-yada...
Old 09-18-2011, 01:23 PM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

I haven't calculated the new tank of gas with the tune, but before the tune I was getting around 15 mpg city. I don't drive highway to work and back so I don't know what the difference would be. I will calculate my new mpg by hand like recommended and compare/contrast. Thanks!

Btw...how is one supposed to truly know how many miles per gallon you are getting without going on empty once. Is this a stupid question?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:41 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yankeehick5.0
I haven't calculated the new tank of gas with the tune, but before the tune I was getting around 15 mpg city. I don't drive highway to work and back so I don't know what the difference would be. I will calculate my new mpg by hand like recommended and compare/contrast. Thanks!

Btw...how is one supposed to truly know how many miles per gallon you are getting without going on empty once. Is this a stupid question?
To be as accurate as possible use the same pump and same fill up technique (if you top off one click do that each time). Fill up and note the odo or reset the trip...the next time you fill up divide the miles traveled by the gallons you just put in. How much gas is left in the tank doesn't matter.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Mjolneer

Speaking of methods of topping off.. I cannot. I have a 2012 V6, and if I do one more click, it over fills a little. Some spews out and I freaked and had to wipe it quick. Just my experience though. Valero gas station.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Hand-calculating is easy. It's the miles you drove since the last fill-up (odometer mileage at present fillup - mileage at previous fillup) divided by # of gallons at present fill-up.

Pick up a monthly pocket planner at WalMart for about $3 and keep it in the center console so you can record that plus any maintenance you do.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Your mileage is far more related to your driving habits than minimal modifications. Anything that improves HP will not increase mileage. It's stoichiometric law.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:22 AM
5.0Racer
1st Gear Member

I would think your mpg would remain the same or go down not up from a cai and tune. You're increasing performance which means mor air and fuel being used. My low gas light comes on my info meter says 75miles to empty. The gas needle reads 1/4 of a tank. I filled up and it only took 11gal. Dont know whats going on there.

Quick Reply: Am I Dreaming?!? Better Fuel Economy with Bama Tune and Intake???