5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang dizzy got me dizzy

Old 03-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Tha Boss
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang dizzy got me dizzy

Hi guys. I switched my 88 mustang from efi to carb. Now i had everything running fine until i woke up one morning and i car wudnt start. found out i was loosing power somewhere. I thought it was my msd box and it still cud b but when i checked the distributor i was gettn fire to the outside of the distributor but now to the inside. so i bought a new 85 mustang manual trans dizzy. I kno how to wire it from the box bcuz the wires r still there. but i dnt kno if the box is actin up so i need to wire the dizzy strait. all i know is i have a dizzy wit a purple and black wire, a red and black wire, and an all black wire. Please inform me on how to wire this strait without the msd ignition box.

Thanks guys!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

type in english first
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Tha Boss
Hi guys. I switched my 88 mustang from efi to carb. Now i had everything running fine until i woke up one morning and i car wudnt start. found out i was loosing power somewhere. I thought it was my msd box and it still cud b but when i checked the distributor i was gettn fire to the outside of the distributor but now to the inside. so i bought a new 85 mustang manual trans dizzy. I kno how to wire it from the box bcuz the wires r still there. but i dnt kno if the box is actin up so i need to wire the dizzy strait. all i know is i have a dizzy wit a purple and black wire, a red and black wire, and an all black wire. Please inform me on how to wire this strait without the msd ignition box.

Thanks guys!!!!!!
you can't wire the duraspark dizzy without an ignition box...you'll need the duraspark ignition box as well as a duraspark coil, in retrospect the oem cylindrical coil that the duraspark uses should not be used with a msd box, it'll burn the coil up = the msd box requires a coil with a different internal resistance iirc.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Tha Boss
2nd Gear Member

I havent used anything duraspark. The dizzy i bought was motorcraft and it worked fine at first. Jus wanna kno on the motorcraft distributor. Which wires are suppose to b hots and which are grounds(purple and black, red and black, solid black). Assuming solid black is a ground
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Tha Boss
2nd Gear Member

Ok. I read a little bit more on it and i c what u r saying. Appreciate it mjr46. U r always a gud help
Old 03-24-2011, 01:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Tha Boss
I havent used anything duraspark. The dizzy i bought was motorcraft and it worked fine at first. Jus wanna kno on the motorcraft distributor. Which wires are suppose to b hots and which are grounds(purple and black, red and black, solid black). Assuming solid black is a ground
duraspark is just the type/name that ford gave the ignition system kinda like the tfi set up used on the efi 5.0's.....irregardless of the brand of parts , it is still called duraspark ignition
Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 AM
fast86stang

ok i wonder if yall can answer my ???? i bought an 86 mustang about a year ago and use to be efi but was converted to car and it ran fine until about a week ago and lost spark and it was still runnin with the tfi distrebuter so i changed to out to a stock dis with pretronix and put an msd blaster 2 coil and still no spark can u please help if u know give me a call or text to eight three two-five two eight-four one seven two