Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 2013 Mustang is officially here!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:19 AM
MustangFTW

fancy irs means a price hike, which puts the mustang out of the reach of its current followers. as of now it starts at 22k which is easily affordable for the majority of people. adding the irs puts the mustang closer to the price range of higher end sports cars, a loaded GT can cost 40k, add irs and it will be closer to 50k, then it has to compete with the corvette.....

Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef
lol wut?
Agreed wut?

http://jalopnik.com/5852106/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEhnugwzCc

If one is applying the current "Sports Coupe = Sports Car even if it does have too many seats", even the current Mustangs especially the Boss can go toe to toe with the Bimmer in everything but refinement, and honestly nobody wants a Mustang that refined anyway. We want sheer brutal capability to get the job done, not European finesse.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
No, the mustang isnt suppsed to be a sports car. If you want a sports car get a m3 or porsche
My insurance company CLEARLY classes a Mustang as a "Sports Car". And, IMHO, it is, in fact, a Sports Car. It's a Car, that is Sporty, therefore, Sports Car.
I define a 'sports car' as a car, that handles very well, is quick/fast, sporty to drive and in looks, and has 2 doors. (SOME 4 door cars CAN fit in the 'sports car' formula.)

Now, is it also a Muscle Car? YES. It fills the formula for BOTH. Maybe it's a CrossOver???!!! LOL.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:33 AM
MustangFTW

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Agreed wut?

http://jalopnik.com/5852106/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEhnugwzCc

If one is applying the current "Sports Coupe = Sports Car even if it does have too many seats", even the current Mustangs especially the Boss can go toe to toe with the Bimmer in everything but refinement, and honestly nobody wants a Mustang that refined anyway. We want sheer brutal capability to get the job done, not European finesse.
im talking about the sports car vs muscle car shenanigans. imo a irs belongs on a high end "sports car" the mustang does perfectly fine with a live rear axle. for those that want it for auto x, a lighter mustang would be better then a heavier irs mustang.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
im talking about the sports car vs muscle car shenanigans. imo a irs belongs on a high end "sports car" the mustang does perfectly fine with a live rear axle. for those that want it for auto x, a lighter mustang would be better then a heavier irs mustang.
So the current Mustang is a "muscle car" while the current Camaro and Challenger are "sports cars"?

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 11-27-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:23 AM
mhass350

I posted this elsewhere on the forum but it seems this thread may be a bit more appropriate, has anyone read or heard when orders will open up for the 2013's?

I've been pricing new 2012s and couldn't find one I liked so I was going to order one in the next week or two but Sunday night my wife (of all people) said she saw a re-design for the Mustang. I was sure she was talking about the 2015 re-design but she was sure she read Spring 2012.

Well, I'm glad I jumped on Google as I like the 2013 even more than the 2012s; HiDs are now standard, the rear tails, the slight bump in HP, the 4.5" LCD screen in the gauge cluster. And at this point I can wait another 3-months - the dealership indicated that an order placed now for a 2012 would be delivered in late-Feb/early-March.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:39 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
So the current Mustang is a "muscle car" while the current Camaro and Challenger are "sports cars"?
That's what I as thinking. If the camaro and challenger have IRS, the mustang needs to follow suit and make a move for the better.

I feel like the whole "things are good now, so why think of changing" policy is just worthless. It can still be a muscle car even with IRS and more fancy systems on board. IMO the challenger is more muscle than today's mustang, and yet it has IRS..
Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
That's what I as thinking. If the camaro and challenger have IRS, the mustang needs to follow suit and make a move for the better.

I feel like the whole "things are good now, so why think of changing" policy is just worthless. It can still be a muscle car even with IRS and more fancy systems on board. IMO the challenger is more muscle than today's mustang, and yet it has IRS..
The Challenger is more of a throwback muscle car while the Camaro and Mustang are closer to their pony car heritage.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by X3xMONGOOSEx3X
The Challenger is more of a throwback muscle car while the Camaro and Mustang are closer to their pony car heritage.
Yep that's exactly what I'm getting at, they're just different representations of the past.