Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Why does Ford limit the top speed of the Boss Mustang to 155mph!

Old 12-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Performance White Boss Mustang

Default Why does Ford limit the top speed of the Boss Mustang to 155mph!

I LOVE the 2012 Boss Mustang, the car looks sweet and is a performance animal in a straighaway and turns!

That being said, why the heck does FORD limit the top speed to 155 mph, when the car has power and weight ratio to get to 180 mph if Ford did not limit this?

I think its bull chit and is one of the only few negatives I see with the car, especially for those who like to participate in events like the Texas Mile, etc., where the car would be a GAS in a straight line for an entire mile, but topping out at 155 mph really sucks.

I mean GM or Mopar does not do this. I own a C6 Z06 LS7 powered vette that has a top speed of a 198 mph (bone stock), and my every day Hemi Challenger SRT8, has a top speed of 170 mph, why the heck does Ford do this?
Old 12-24-2011, 01:24 AM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

could be because your drive train/other parts wont hold up too well at speeds of over 160, although im not at all sure how good those parts are after all it is a boss, your vette is a much different car than our stock stangs, it can handle those speeds and the manufacturer wants you to go those speeds.

my car for example can only go 120ish, and many crappy hondas etc. can go 135 ish, it's because my drivetrain would be destroyed at those speeds, but im sure ford has a few reasons besides that
Old 12-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

High performance cars in the EU are generally limited to 155, so it could be that ford is arbitrarily following suit.

Or it could be that these things are simply built down to a price. Just look at the v6 cars being limited to 112 and I've seen the video of one munching it's own driveshaft past 135.

The boss may be fast but it's no supercar. You have to pay to play. Priced a Ferrari lately?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:24 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

It's not dumb. There are many reasons Ford does this. First and formost 99.99% of owners are nowhere near being able to handle a car at those speeds... plus it's a street car, and there is no need for it. Insurance is also a reason. Engineering off the lot doesn't follow suit for a 200 mph car. Ford didn't design it for top speed nor straight line racing. It's a road course car, and not many road course cars need speeds over 155.

That being said, if you are running the TX mile and the like, chances are you've modded it for such use already and will know how to get around a limiter for that. So the point falls to the way side.

Also, CLAIMED top speeds are very different than real world top speeds.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:39 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Hmm that makes me think about the track pack. Does the track pack do anything to the limiter?
Old 12-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

the 2013 cobra can do 200 mph, 650+ hp bone stock. most powerful production V8 i heard.

the limiter may be due to tires? i know most limiters are due to the stock tires limits
Old 12-25-2011, 09:17 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

In my opinion all limiters should be set at 75 - the max speed limit in the US. it would keep the idiots out of speeds that they can't handle. Too many dumb owners buy hear "that car does XXX mph" - and want to see if it's true." Then they end up dead or killing someone else. Such a waste.

If you are hitting the track, you'll already have the knowledge to shut off the limiter - and it's not an issue. Any tuner will be able to reset it (or remove it).
Old 12-26-2011, 02:21 AM
Performance White Boss Mustang

Originally Posted by LilRoush
In my opinion all limiters should be set at 75 - the max speed limit in the US. it would keep the idiots out of speeds that they can't handle. Too many dumb owners buy hear "that car does XXX mph" - and want to see if it's true." Then they end up dead or killing someone else. Such a waste.

If you are hitting the track, you'll already have the knowledge to shut off the limiter - and it's not an issue. Any tuner will be able to reset it (or remove it).
Old 12-26-2011, 05:52 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

I don't see the big deal with this. How often do you drive at those speeds?
Old 12-26-2011, 01:15 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Performance White Boss Mustang
Hope all that is for you.

You don't like the top speed? If you just spent $40-$50,000 on a car, spend the extra $200 to have the limiter shut off. If you can't figure that out on your own, you have no business being behind the wheel at those speeds. Crawl before you walk... then learn to run with the big boys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why does Ford limit the top speed of the Boss Mustang to 155mph!