4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

V6 vs. V8

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Boon Nelson
Banned

Lightbulb V6 vs. V8

I personally have never really been a big fan of a V6 or even the older 4 cylinders. Is it just me being close minded or are they actually good for something. Take a fox body mustang for example. The only reason I'd buy one with the 2.3 is to rip it out and drop a 5.0 in it. I feel that owners of the smaller motored mustangs, own one just for the sole reason to say they drive a beautiful car. Not quite sure what Im getting at I guess just kind of felt the need to vent and get this off my chest.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by Boon Nelson
I personally have never really been a big fan of a V6 or even the older 4 cylinders. Is it just me being close minded or are they actually good for something. Take a fox body mustang for example. The only reason I'd buy one with the 2.3 is to rip it out and drop a 5.0 in it. I feel that owners of the smaller motored mustangs, own one just for the sole reason to say they drive a beautiful car. Not quite sure what Im getting at I guess just kind of felt the need to vent and get this off my chest.

Thanks
Either do I
Old 02-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I tend to agree with WBGH. Are you trying to say that a 6 or 4 cly mustang's are a waste of money?? Just to let you know the Cobra guys are probably saying the same things about us 2 valvers..

Last edited by Soldier GT; 02-22-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Boon Nelson
Banned

Not really a waste of money I guess just never really understood why you would want to own one. The only reasonable answer I can come up with is not being able to afford one. I love my gt but would trade it any day for a cobra. To me the more power the better. Although cobra owners may look down on us gt owners but still a gt will get up and go faster then the average moms station wagon. I once owned a V6 that my dad bought as a project for me and hated it. I felt like I was driving a geo
Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Well, as the old saying goes: "To each his own". ALL that matters is what one likes, not what someone else likes. What may be important to you may not be important to another.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Boon Nelson
Banned

Yes very good point stevednmc
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Not everyone buys a Mustang for power (but most do). I know my friend got a v6 because of insurance and gas and just that he doesn't need the power....he just wants to put the top down and go for a cruise.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Without the v6 or the 4 cyl models there would be no mustang. Sure all of us on the forums are gonna be biased towards the performance models but the bulk of mustang sales are v6. Without them the mustang would have went the route of camaro/firebird and we most likely wouldn't be able to drool over the next iteration of the gt500.

So in short, be thankful for the v6 and the people that buy them for the look/feel of having a mustang. Without them your need to mod a v8 wouldn't be at all possible.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

I always thought that if you have a mustang it better be a v8, otherwise whats the frikkin point?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boon Nelson
Yes very good point stevednmc
Boon you might want to explain yourself more clearly.. You're making alot of friends already (6 posts)..

Quick Reply: V6 vs. V8