Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Roush vs. Boss on top gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Default Roush vs. Boss on top gear

Did anybody see this?? ....the Roush has more horsepower but the Boss beat it in a race with the same driver on a mostly twisty track.

I'm sure if it was a straight line race the Roush would win....I would assume.

But does anybody have an idea why the boss with less HP would win? This is making me second guess a supercharger purchase in the future. I would of guessed the Roush Mustang would of won...easily.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Because the BOSS was built to go around a twisty track.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Not bad considering its giving up almost 100 horsepower.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You talking about BBC America Top Gear or Top Gear America? I can't stand Top Gear America with Tanner. I like Tanner but the few times i stopped to watch the show for a few mintues, the chemistry was forced and they tried to make it too much like BBC America Top Gear.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:48 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Yea so it depends on what ur looking for when u begin to mod ur car. If you looking for 1/4 mile times then u can get some decent times just a supercharger, slicks and LCA's. However if your goal is to do some twisties then u really need to beef up ur suspenion to handle the weight distribution through turns. That has nothing to do with horspepower its all about the agility of the car at that point. Your really not comparing apples to apples with the two mustangs. Give the rousch some much needed susupion then it would be a good race.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:01 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Doesn't surprise me. The Boss was built for turns, and on many tracks you can't count on straight line speed to win you a race. Think about the amount of turns compared to the straightaways where the Roush would be able to actually gain time despite exiting the turn slower.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Minion
Did anybody see this?? ....the Roush has more horsepower but the Boss beat it in a race with the same driver on a mostly twisty track.

I'm sure if it was a straight line race the Roush would win....I would assume.

But does anybody have an idea why the boss with less HP would win? This is making me second guess a supercharger purchase in the future. I would of guessed the Roush Mustang would of won...easily.
To answer your question directly, it's no surprise.

Motortrend rag did a comparo of the new Boss (not the Laguna Seca edition) against a 2010 GT500 and the GT500 got clobbered by the Boss around Laguna Seca by something like 4 seconds. In most of the turn-ins and exits the Boss held a 2+ mph advantage over the GT500. Also, since the boss is NA ther power under the curve is more flat than the GT500.

The Boss 302 Laguna Seca Edition ran the same track at a faster time than the regular boss but wasn't compared when they wrote the article.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
To answer your question directly, it's no surprise.

Motortrend rag did a comparo of the new Boss (not the Laguna Seca edition) against a 2010 GT500 and the GT500 got clobbered by the Boss around Laguna Seca by something like 4 seconds. In most of the turn-ins and exits the Boss held a 2+ mph advantage over the GT500. Also, since the boss is NA ther power under the curve is more flat than the GT500.

The Boss 302 Laguna Seca Edition ran the same track at a faster time than the regular boss but wasn't compared when they wrote the article.
I think I'd disagree with the part I put in bold. I bet the GT500 has more under the curve, it is a twin screw, not a centri style so boost hits quickly.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:36 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Top Gear, lol.
And not a flying f*** was given that day!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Yea so it depends on what ur looking for when u begin to mod ur car. If you looking for 1/4 mile times then u can get some decent times just a supercharger, slicks and LCA's. However if your goal is to do some twisties then u really need to beef up ur suspenion to handle the weight distribution through turns. That has nothing to do with horspepower its all about the agility of the car at that point. Your really not comparing apples to apples with the two mustangs. Give the rousch some much needed susupion then it would be a good race.
I thought roush did put a different suspension setup on their cars?

a factor that could have made a difference was type of tires, not sure if they used the same type on each car. Could make a big difference.

Last edited by Andy13186; 02-23-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Roush vs. Boss on top gear