4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

powdercoating intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Default powdercoating intake manifold

So my pi intake swap sprung a small coolant leak so im taking it back off to re-seal my coolant passage.

My dad and I operate a small sandblasting and powdercoating shop at our house and since I will have the intake off i would like to powder coat it.

My question is do you guys think that the plastic intake will hold up to the 400 degree oven for 15min in order for the paint to bake on or do you think it will warp it?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

You can't powdercoat it. The plastic won't hold up. The only thing you can powdercoat would be the crossover if you have the aluminum one, but it's not removable.

You're better off just painting it. Some high temp paint will hold up just fine if you prep it right.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96meangreengt
So my pi intake swap sprung a small coolant leak so im taking it back off to re-seal my coolant passage.

My dad and I operate a small sandblasting and powdercoating shop at our house and since I will have the intake off i would like to powder coat it.

My question is do you guys think that the plastic intake will hold up to the 400 degree oven for 15min in order for the paint to bake on or do you think it will warp it?
I wish i owned a powder coating business, i have so many think i want to powder coat haha
Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 AM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xemeth
You can't powdercoat it. The plastic won't hold up. The only thing you can powdercoat would be the crossover if you have the aluminum one, but it's not removable.

You're better off just painting it. Some high temp paint will hold up just fine if you prep it right.
I have seen a lot of the ls1 guys getting thier intake powdercoated i just figured if theirs can hold up to the temp that ours could to. even seen some 2v valve covers powdercoated.

I think im going to try it on my old npi intake first and see how it holds up.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 AM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
I wish i owned a powder coating business, i have so many think i want to powder coat haha
You could set yourself up with a small household over and a decent gun faily inexpensivly. and get you a harbor frieght cabinet balster for $200 bucks or so and then get you a small compressor.

or jut send the parts to me
Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I tried to get my intake tube done and it just wouldnt. Ale to the plastic, as far as valve covers and intake manifolds i would NoT bake them in an oven because the plasti can distort of warp, even if it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb a distored intake manny or. Ale cover is gonna be a leak nightmare
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

96greenmeangt, how much would you charge to powdercoat 2 4v valve covers wrinkle for blue? I really want ford racing wrinkle blue powder coated valve covers, but everyone is charging more then it would be to get brandnew ones already the color I want.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
96greenmeangt, how much would you charge to powdercoat 2 4v valve covers wrinkle for blue? I really want ford racing wrinkle blue powder coated valve covers, but everyone is charging more then it would be to get brandnew ones already the color I want.
Are they plastic or aluminum?

I would say around $75 without shipping. I acutually just ordered some of the ford wrinkle blue to do my valve covers on my powerstroke, I will send you some pics to show how it turns out if you want.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I tried to get my intake tube done and it just wouldnt. Ale to the plastic, as far as valve covers and intake manifolds i would NoT bake them in an oven because the plasti can distort of warp, even if it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb a distored intake manny or. Ale cover is gonna be a leak nightmare
Im gonna do some research to see if they make a low curing temp powdercoat, something less then 300degrees and try that. I want to paint them just dont want to take everything apart and spray them with some spray paint and then it starts to flake off.

I have used the plastic spray paint before and it holds up really well but i doubt it would hold up to any kinda heat.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:37 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

FYI be careful with telling people you will PC stuff they threatened to Ban me if I did it anymore.
Anyway original question I think the majority of the plastic intake should hold up but you have to look for the cheaper plastic parts of the intake will not hold up. I did a test on a 2V cover and it held up fine but the plastic baffles on the underside did not hold up so well and those baffles are not removable because they are hot stamped on.
And how are you getting away with only 15min bake times? all my powders require 425° until flowout and than another 20 min @ 375°. make sure your baking things long enough it gets expensive to F things up trust me

Quick Reply: powdercoating intake manifold