Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Switching Distributors?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 PM
200ci66
1st Gear Member

Default Switching Distributors?

Well, another problem has come up, and I didn't even realize this was a problem until someone on the internet told me...

I'm running a Holley 5200 carb in replacement of the Autolite 1100. The problem? I'm still using the Load-o-matic distributor. As it turns out (4000 miles of driving later) the Load-O-Matic Distributor was meant to work with the 1100 carburetor. The carb has a spark control valve that isn't found on the Holley 5200.

http://classicinlines.com/Loadomatic.asp Information is about halfway down the page.

From what multiple people have told me online, a 68 distributor will work with my carb. I have one. Great. Now time to swap the two. Below is a link to a picture of the 68 distributor.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...20306_0001.jpg

What confuses me is the two vacuum hoses on the right side. What did those two originally hook up to, and how do I hook them up now? Also, will things like the distributor cap and the pertronix ingitor fit into the 68 distributor just like the 66?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

I had that distributor with an 1100 Autolite and the gas mileage was very bad. I bought a Pony Carb Vaporizer 1100 Autolite and a Load-o-matic distributor and the car ran awesome...but good luck finding another Vaporizer.

I don't know how a Holley would perform with the 68 dizzy. I believe you can plug up the vacuum nozzle on the carb and leave the two nozzles on the distributor alone. This would have you running your vacuum advance mechanically. It should run good, and the gas mileage overall wont be bad, but not optimal.

In my opinion the Autolite is a superior carb because it is an extremely simple design and will run forever as long as you change the fuel filter regularly. If you have access to an original Autolite 1100 for that Load-a-matic dizzy, that would be the best way to go.

However you do it, you are trying to get 18 to 21 mpg on the freeway at 65 mph. If you get better with the Holley, stick with it. If you get less than 18 mpg on the highway at 65 mph, then I would try to get back to original equipment for which that motor was designed for.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

With my 2bbl carb I originally had on my I6 I got 25+ on the highway, but in town it was like 15.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1slow67
With my 2bbl carb I originally had on my I6 I got 25+ on the highway, but in town it was like 15.
Was it the Autolite 2100?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

HW5200, tuned with different jets.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 AM
200ci66
1st Gear Member

Before I swapped rear ends I was getting 25 on the highway at 55-60 mph. I didn't really realize there was a problem, but I've now learned why I'm lacking a lot of power in the top end.

So don't even worry about the two vacuum nozzles on the distributor? Should just be a swap out swap in thing then right?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 200ci66
Before I swapped rear ends I was getting 25 on the highway at 55-60 mph. I didn't really realize there was a problem, but I've now learned why I'm lacking a lot of power in the top end.

So don't even worry about the two vacuum nozzles on the distributor? Should just be a swap out swap in thing then right?
I had my motor rebuilt by a place that specializes in race motors. I called them about this problem and they told me it was common to run a car with the vacuum advance plugged. This should not be a permanent situation though. Eventually you need to find a carb/distributor combination that works best WITH the vacuum advance hose in use.

Most of the guys here on this forum have V8's and are into high performance. I chose to have an I6 motor because of the simplicity of design, and better gas mileage. There is a reason why our cars are over 45 years old and still running good. They were built to last.

For my car I stayed with the Autolite 1100 because every couple of years I go to NAPA and pay about $25 dollars and can rebuild my one carb within a couple of hours (most time is spent making each part squeaky clean).

If you can get a Pony Carb Vaporizer 1100 do it, it is well worth the money. The Autolite 2bbl and 4bbl carbs have what is called an "Annular Discharge" which turns the gasoline into a mist instead of a stream. The Autolite 1100 does NOT have this...

Their 1100 has the Annular Discharge on them. They also modified the design to improve performance. The Pony Carb Vaporizer is not a rebuilt carb, but one they manufactured brand new.

There is a guy on this forum that was trying to sell one for about $400, but I never followed up because I am a broke civil servant. If you want I can forward his info to you.

I am also curious if an Autolite 2100 can be used on the 200 motor? The Pony Carbs are very hard to get now because the owner died last years and the company went out of business. But a stock 2100 might be a good choice as well.

So, has anyone here ever heard of an Autolite 2100 carb used successfully on a 200ci motor with a Load-o-matic distributor?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Simply, yes, a post 68 distributor WILL work well with just about any carb.....

But of course,,,, there is a catch.... Isn't there always?

When Ford stopped using the Load -O-Matic distributor on the I-6s, they also increased the distributor shaft diameter (the part that goes in the block under the gear) slightly in order to incorporate a 5/16 oil pump drive instead of the 1/4" shaft...

Which means, a 68 and up distributor will not fit in a 67 > block.

I have a nice little 60 Falcon that has a 144 6, I am going to ream the block to accept the distributor and change to a 5/16 pump and drive.

I haven't done it yet, but my intent is to do so with the engine in the car.

It may be possible to turn the distributor shaft down, and I think it would work, but the shoulders that hold the oil pump drive shaft will be thin.

Good luck with the Pony Carb replacement, Pony Carbs "died".
Old 03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Here are some other threads I had here that may hopefully help you:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...ed-advice.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...m-advance.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...pony-carb.html
Old 03-07-2012, 04:11 PM
200ci66
1st Gear Member

I'm going to stay away from going back to the one barrel. I put the 5200 on there to get away from that thing, I don't want to go back to it. The 68 distributor won't fit, what's next? A duraspark? What's something that is a direct fit here?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Switching Distributors?