Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dyno tune vs canned tune

Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default Dyno tune vs canned tune

Dyno tunes are obviously the ultimate way to squeeze the most horsepower out of a vehicle, but how much more hp do they generally squeeze out of it over a canned tune? I recently went f/i and I want the most horsepower I can get a but a good dyno shop charges at least $500 in my area. So now my debate has begun; get a custom dyno tune - or stick with the canned tune and spend $500 towards something else.
Does anyone have any dyno sheets from a canned tune to a dyno? Any advice on what I should do?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

how much is the canned tune? For me it ends up being such a small difference it's just worth dropping the 500.00

I just worry that a canned tune might have an issue that ends up getting missed and I lose my engine over it. With FI I would be even more nervous, unless you are using logging/wideband info to get the canned tune?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I do have air to fuel and boost gauges and also my tunes are free through American muscle so they cost me nothing out of pocket
Old 03-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

You'd be making a huge mistake running a canned tune with FI, imo. Its not all about numbers as much as it is about tuning YOUR car. A canned tune will get you by, but you'll be leaving a lot on the table, trust me. Especially in your situation. Spend the $500.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Explosive

You're F/I and your car hasn't seen a dyno ???

I wouldn't think about messing with canned tunes once I go F/I, dyno all the way
Old 03-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

N/A I'd say email tune is fine but with any boosted car, I'd def get a quality dyno tune.

$500 is cheaper then a blown engine...
Old 03-09-2012, 01:45 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I'm not so much worried about a blown engine - I've been running this canned tune for a month and a half and running it hard. I haven't notice anything serious so it seems to be running fine. I'm more concerned about wether or not I'm missing out on lots of hp
Old 03-09-2012, 02:01 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

You will be down on hp, a canned tune for a f/i setup is going to be very conservative, someone working with the car on a dyno will be able to make a lot more changes to get power out of it

I say it's money well spent
Old 03-09-2012, 02:02 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
I'm not so much worried about a blown engine - I've been running this canned tune for a month and a half and running it hard. I haven't notice anything serious so it seems to be running fine. I'm more concerned about wether or not I'm missing out on lots of hp
Sure, you might be. Gotta remember though, that numbers will vary from dyno to dyno. Even the same dyno might churn out a reading you were not expecting because - for instance - your car wasn't cooled down, it was a hot day, cold day, etc.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

on the s197 4.0 running a supercharger they are all about the same, even with f/i i dont think you'd pick up more than 15-20whp over the BAMA tune. (and that is a maximum, i think 10-15 is more realistic)

IF you get a dyno tune make sure its from someone who has good experience with the 4.0. the engine is strong, pistons are weak.

A lot of people with the v6 and v8 s197s are running canned tunes with superchargers and without issues.. sadly enough, most issues come from getting a dyno tune because the tuners try to push it too far to get more than the can tune they already base lined at. if your AFRs are looking good there isn't much more a dyno tuner can pull out of it.

I'd say no to the dyno tune unless you have a local tuner who is really good, has a lot of experience and his customers tell you that they dropped .2 off their ETs with the dyno tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyno tune vs canned tune