Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
View Poll Results: Which is the best option to reduse underhood temperatures on a supercharged 3V?
Ceramic-coated exhaust manifolds
22.22%
Ceramic-coated shorties
0%
Ceramic-coated long tube headers
33.33%
You're an idiot, Mike. None of this is worth the bother.
44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Underhood temperatures

Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Mathusula2

Question Underhood temperatures

Does anyone have an opinion about using ceramic coated shorties, LTs, vs. ceramic coating the exhaust manifolds to reduce underhood temperatures?

How about a poll?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Mathusula2

P.S. If you pick option 4, suggestions are welcomed!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Ceramic coated shorties or long tubes would work fine. But the OEM exhaust manifolds are heavy and made out of iron - this would still absorb the heat from the exhaust like a heat sink and radiate it in the engine bay (even with a ceramic coating applied IMO).
Old 03-28-2012, 04:43 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I just got my headers back from El Paso Powder Coating. Had them ceramic coated in matte black:

Old 03-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I voted "You're an idiot" because I rarely get to vote that option, lol. It would be excellent on a presidential ballot: "None of the above. They're all idiots."

To get back to the topic at hand though, I assume the ultimate reason for wanting to lower underhood temps is to lower intake temps, which is an understandable goal. If that's your main concern, I think there are better alternatives to cooling that are not exhaust related. One of the best mods you can do for cooling is an upgraded radiator/fan setup. Good luck man.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Heat exchanger man
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

A fully vented hood like the Tiger race hood let the heat out.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
It would be excellent on a presidential ballot: "None of the above. They're all idiots."
This is the best political statement I have ever heard on here, and is going in my sig
Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

From the thermal standpoint, I would think that ceramic coated exhaust manifold wold be best of the 3 options, whether you have headers or manifold they are all made out of iron, so that's about the same across the line, but the exhaust manifold has the least amount surface area in the engine bay, by having more surface area with the headers, you are letting more of the heat escape into the engin bay than out the back. That said, you may gain more performance with the headers than you lose with intake temps...
so you still may be an idiot... but ceramic coated is better than nothing.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

I agree the cast iron actually works as an insulator to a degree. The ceramic makes this more effective. Besides a vented hood doing away with the cats will help as the cats store a lot of heat and have a lot of surface area . A straight through tube there also ceramic coated would help move the heat down the pipe instead of radiating it into the engine compartment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Underhood temperatures