Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Quarter Panel Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 05:46 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Default Quarter Panel Replacement

Okay so I've got a question regarding quarter panel replacement. On Eleanor we replaced both full quarters, so we know and understand the work that was at hand regarding the full deal. On our current build, it's a bit different. The whole quarter doesn't need replaced at all, but the previous owner did a lower patch on both lower quarters, but I don't think we want to just let it go like that so we were thinking of doing a quarter skin. I've read up a little on the disadvantages of butt welding, so I was wondering if any of you had some insight on lapping?????? Or what is the best way to go about doing a skin? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and by the way if this is in the wrong section, mods feel free to move it. I'm not sure where in the world I'm supposed to be posting nowadays.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I know people poo poo on lap welding quarters and such, but hell these cars are made with tons of lap welds and under the right conditions these joints have been of no problems for 40+ years. I know lap welds can hold moisture and possibly rust quicker, but we are doing more rust prevention on these cars then new and a properly sealed joint should last a long time before any problems show up.

I'm lap welding my skin on my passenger side just for the experience, I did a full quarter replacement on the drivers side and I'm skinning the other just to say I did it.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...f-pics-18.html

Our car will never see the harsh elements it once did and it should be fine.

Back to one of your questions.
I'm lap welding the top of the skin and doing the rest and the factory points.
I got a full quarter with the car when we got it and I can cut it how ever I wanted to see fit.

I decided to do the lap weld on the top of the panel as apposed to the side so that any body work will be on the top and be harder to see as apposed to being on the side of the car and the body work waving to everyone going down the road.
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 04-15-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I'd just replace the qtr. No that much more work and no lap to finish. Couple of good articles

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...els/index.html

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/projec...r/viewall.html
Old 04-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Stevea

Skins are not the best made panels. They are tougher to fit correctly. I'm not sure I would replace the whole quarter either though. I would buy a quality quarter and do the cut about an inch in on the flat part of the quarter. Over lapping is fine and gives a better welding surface. As stated before, you do rust prevention much better now days and if it sealed well, you should be fine.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

I have but welded quarter sections on, it's a bit stressful to getting right but I have seen people do an overlap with tech screws on both sides of the lap and then slice between the overlap to get a tight joint. Slice some and tack weld then slice more, it can come out well without the chance of your math being off. The thing about an overlap in the trunk is moisture will find its way behind it in time. When ford did the overlap on the original joint it was deep enough to get leaded in, and that holds up better over time than body filler over a shallow flange.

Not to mention if you can see it in the trunk it can really stand out.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Okay thanks guys and thanks for the links. I forgot to mention that it's a fastback so the plan would be to cut down either a full coupe quarter, or install a coupe skin. I guess we'll have to see how the metal looks where it attaches to the tail light panel before we decide which route to go.

We also have been thinking about flanging the joint on the existing quarter, and then the new one would lay on top. What do you think?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Stevea

I think that a good idea. I have done that on panel replacements many times.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

That will work. As I mentioned above, use a full quarter and cut it to where YOU want it to go, skins aren't the best to use. A couple of my Mustang club members said the same thing when we were talking on quarter replacement.

As I showed above, here is how I did ours with the full quarter, I never could have done it this way with a skin.

I know your working with a fastback, but you get the idea.
Lynn