Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

First suspension upgrades

Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 AM
2008Vert
2nd Gear Member

Default First suspension upgrades

I have an 08 V6 Base convertible.

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt...2005-2009.aspx

I found this kit for the GT convertible. Would this be a major improvement over what I have?

I would like to start doing some mods and thought this might be a good start.

And would it fit?

Last edited by 2008Vert; 05-02-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

Maybe the sway bars would be an upgrade but everything else would probably not be noticeable. I would go with the Koni STR.T's (on sale right now) and a set of Steeda sport springs if you want to see and feel a noticeable difference.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 AM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Steeda now has sport springs specifically for convertibles, that deal with the extra weight in the rear of a convertible.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:08 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

2008 Vert,

We definately have the ability to get you to your goal of a better ride. Is this your DD and what are you looking for in regards to improvement?

Shoot me a PM and we can start looking at packages that fit your needs. Steeda is an American Made company that specializes in Ford vehicles.

Let me know your thoughts.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2008Vert
I have an 08 V6 Base convertible.

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt...2005-2009.aspx

I found this kit for the GT convertible. Would this be a major improvement over what I have?

I would like to start doing some mods and thought this might be a good start.

And would it fit?
That would be an improvement over your stock stuff, but to me, if I was going to replace the factory suspension, I'd go for more performance oriented equipment.

That said, I like lowering springs, an adjustable panhard bar, and rear control arms as a good place to start modding the suspension. And of course, we carry all of these at www.uprproducts.com. Also, our parts are Made in America, they carry a Lifetime Guarantee, and mf.com members get a 10% discount on any part we manufacture.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 AM
imaredtuna

I'd start with Konis before anything else.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 AM
2008Vert
2nd Gear Member

Can anyone tell me what size the sway bars are on my base convertible and what size the ones on a GT convertible are?

Also, what is the difference between the suspension on the vert and the suspension on the coupe?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Forty-two
1st Gear Member

I am currently in the same situation of improving my suspension and I've been reading a lot. In the end I chose Koni Sports (Yellows) and Steeda Sport Springs as my first step. In addition I will put in camber plates by Maximum Motorsports. Still waiting for the springs to arrive so I can put them in

Originally Posted by safetyfastgt
Steeda now has sport springs specifically for convertibles, that deal with the extra weight in the rear of a convertible.
Is there a huge difference in the springs for the coupe and those for the convertible?

Originally Posted by 2008Vert
Can anyone tell me what size the sway bars are on my base convertible and what size the ones on a GT convertible are?
GT convertible should have 34mm/18mm, the V6 convertible 31.7mm/18mm. That's the info I could find. I didn't measure mine though

Last edited by Forty-two; 05-04-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:51 AM
2008Vert
2nd Gear Member

So the rear swaybar on both the base and the GT are the same? The only differenct being the front?

I have been reading up on it and it would appear that the Pony Package V6 is the same setup as the GT?

I have also read that the Pony Package may actually have better handling characteristics than the GT because of the decrease in weight of the V6 over the V8?

I guess what I am getting at is that now I have the stock base convertible. I have found a complete (springs and all) GT convertible suspension including the strut brace for 300 bucks locally. It would seem that that would be a major improvement over what I have and a good place to start. I just bought the car so I probably won't be doing any serious performance mods for a while.

Thanks to the guys from Steeda and UPR but I just don't have the budget for much right now.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Forty-two
1st Gear Member

That's what I've read, too. Pony Package should be the same as the GT. I'm not sure though if both convertibles (Base & GT) have the same sway bars. Been reading the GT is a lot stiffer, so maybe only the diameter is the same, but the material different?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First suspension upgrades