Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust system hitting rear axel

Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Default exhaust system hitting rear axel

hey guys i have a 2008 shelby gt500 and i went with the borla cat back exhaust system. now i lowered the car and it seems like the pipes on the rear are hitting my axel when ever i hit a bump or any uneven surface, even going up hill it makes a metal to metal sound. anyone ever had this problem?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:46 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have changed my exhaust too many times and have run into that issue. If you cannot adjust your mufflers with a slight twist to get them away from banging anything then just wrap that section of the pipe with some header wrap cloth. I did this, and strapped it down with some metal zip ties. It was a very cheap solution that works perfectly. If I hit a bump that causes the pipe to bang into another metal surface its not a loud bang. I cant even hear when it hits.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I have changed my exhaust too many times and have run into that issue. If you cannot adjust your mufflers with a slight twist to get them away from banging anything then just wrap that section of the pipe with some header wrap cloth. I did this, and strapped it down with some metal zip ties. It was a very cheap solution that works perfectly. If I hit a bump that causes the pipe to bang into another metal surface its not a loud bang. I cant even hear when it hits.
I clamped mine down at the rubber mount points...now the rubber area is solid and the pipes dont move around...
Old 05-06-2012, 06:33 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Thats a good idea too. My current mufflers were so crooked out the back that I had to run the steel mount piece through the side of the rubber hanger. Its nearly perfect out the back now. LOL ........ POS hangers were welded in wrong.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 PM
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

Is the exhaust hitting the rear axle or the panhard bar brace? I had exhaust rattle forever because it was hitting the phb brace and got the CHE panhard bar brace and the rattle is 100% gone.
http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-158.htm
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

so just tie down my pipes to my axel to prevent it from moving? is that a safe route or maybe put something between the pipes and the axel to make up the space in between? btw i dont have a panhard bar i dont think
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500
so just tie down my pipes to my axel to prevent it from moving? is that a safe route or maybe put something between the pipes and the axel to make up the space in between? btw i dont have a panhard bar i dont think
NOOOOOOOO! Don't tie your pipes to the axle, the exhaust needs to be able to jiggle around. Did you replace just mufflers or cat back? If just mufflers you just have to rehang your mufflers and just move them around for max clearance. If cat back then you may be hitting your Panhard bar brace, if so you can get an aftermarket one for more room like CHE or Steeda. Also check the hangers on the muffler themselves, I had an issue where the driver side hanger was touching the rear bumper frame of vehicle, a little trim of the hanger solved the problem.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:19 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
NOOOOOOOO! Don't tie your pipes to the axle, the exhaust needs to be able to jiggle around. Did you replace just mufflers or cat back? If just mufflers you just have to rehang your mufflers and just move them around for max clearance. If cat back then you may be hitting your Panhard bar brace, if so you can get an aftermarket one for more room like CHE or Steeda. Also check the hangers on the muffler themselves, I had an issue where the driver side hanger was touching the rear bumper frame of vehicle, a little trim of the hanger solved the problem.

does the shelby gt500 2008 comes with a panhard bar brace im not sure if i have this
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

I had the same problem on my 09 GT. Lowered the car and then installed Kooks LT with H-pipe. Everything was fine for about a week and then I heard some kind of clanking sound. Turned out to be the exhaust hitting the rear axle. Took the car to a muffler shop and they loosened all the clamps, readjusted the whole exhaust and realigned my muffler tips. Took them about 30 mins and cost me 40 bucks. That was about three months ago and so far all is good.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:56 AM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500
does the shelby gt500 2008 comes with a panhard bar brace im not sure if i have this
Yes it does

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: exhaust system hitting rear axel