Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end rattle

Old 05-24-2012, 06:16 PM
jcorbin

Default Front end rattle

So, earlier this year my 2010 Gt developed a rattle in the right front corner going over speed bumps or hitting a driveway bump just right. At this point the car only had 12000 miles on it. I took it to the dealership and they automatically did the TSB on the control arms which basically replaced both of the control arms and I believe the ball joints. The rattle was still there. After taking it back to them three or four times, each time having to take the service manager for a trip to the parking lot and slowly roll over the speed bumps, they finally found that the ball joint was loose in the spindle. So they replaced the spindle and the rattle went away...until today. Only, this time it's a whole lot louder, it does it a whole lot worse and it's in the same corner.

Has anybody else had the same or similar problem? or have some advice on this?

After it was fixed the first time I went on ahead and put my eibach prokit on figuring I wouldn't have any more problems with it so now I'm wondering if I screwed up the warranty also. I'm going to double check everything around the struts to make sure everything there is tight tonight when I get home from work.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jcorbin
So, earlier this year my 2010 Gt developed a rattle in the right front corner going over speed bumps or hitting a driveway bump just right. At this point the car only had 12000 miles on it. I took it to the dealership and they automatically did the TSB on the control arms which basically replaced both of the control arms and I believe the ball joints. The rattle was still there. After taking it back to them three or four times, each time having to take the service manager for a trip to the parking lot and slowly roll over the speed bumps, they finally found that the ball joint was loose in the spindle. So they replaced the spindle and the rattle went away...until today. Only, this time it's a whole lot louder, it does it a whole lot worse and it's in the same corner.

Has anybody else had the same or similar problem? or have some advice on this?

After it was fixed the first time I went on ahead and put my eibach prokit on figuring I wouldn't have any more problems with it so now I'm wondering if I screwed up the warranty also. I'm going to double check everything around the struts to make sure everything there is tight tonight when I get home from work.
Yes you screw your warranty work, unless you're able to put things back they were.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:02 PM
jcorbin

That's kinda what I figured. I've also been told it was up to the service managers discretion. The springs are easy enough to change back though. Only problem is pretty much all my tools are packed up and in storage right now because I'm moving across the state. Then I have to drive 400 miles this weekend listening to it, wondering if it's even safe to be driving right now.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:43 AM
jcorbin

So, I pulled the front tires off and started beating on suspension parts with a rubber mallet and found a loose sway bar end link. Problem solved.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Slink
1st Gear Member

I love it when it is something as simple as that.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:36 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jcorbin
So, I pulled the front tires off and started beating on suspension parts with a rubber mallet and found a loose sway bar end link. Problem solved.
I would of told you that if you went through bumps :P
Old 05-29-2012, 02:29 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Just dealt with this after lowering my 06 a few months back. drove me crazy and was obnoxious clunky over every crack in the road. After a month of trying to shake the car and figure this problem out. I tightened the end links and bingo! Coudnt believe how easy for as much noise it was making. Wish i had found this out sooner i was starting to not enjoy even driving my fav. car ive owned!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:28 PM
2006mustanggtowner
1st Gear Member

i think sway bar inks are a common problem both my mustangs my 2005 and my 2006 both did it in the front right
Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 PM
jcorbin

Does anyone know what the torque spec is on these? I believe this is a common problem mostly because it is kind of difficult to get them tight. You have to use a six point socket or wrench (8mm as I recall) to hold the stud on the end link, otherwise the stud will round off fairly easily. Then you've got to use a wrench (I believe 18mm) on the nut. That particular combination just doesnt work all that great.