Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Front License Plates

Old 05-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Default Front License Plates

I like starting these discussions and hearing from all of you! What do you feel about front license plate laws? Do they even have them in your state? I've heard of people having to drill into a nice new body kit, which I'm sure happens all the time. Here in NE, the law is (I think) you don't have to have a front license if there isn't a place to mount one. They detract the look from some beautiful cars!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I agree completely. Could actually save states money if they didn't have them. They could charge the same registration fee, but give you one plate instead of two. Worst looking front plate, the Mazda RX8. Looks like bugs bunny.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Funny you bring that car up, I've been practically drooling over it for a couple years now. You're exactly right. As soon as I saw it, u thought Bugs Bunny LOL
Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 AM
stangrookie302
1st Gear Member

In CA, if the vehicle is not factory equipped with a proper positioning area for the plate, that vehicle is not required to have one. Also, some vehicles have been grandfathered in because of the year they were made.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:22 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

I'm still pissed off that the dealer I got mine from failed to mention that they got mine from a dealer in MD where they had the front license plate on. 2 holes still there on my front since thankfully DE does not have that stipulation..

Lame.

Last edited by wayne613; 05-21-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

I don't know the exact law for Washington state, but as far as I know, you have to have a front license plate on. It used to bother me, I always thought well what difference does it really make if I had one in front or not? But now I just have gotten used to it.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:37 AM
VistaBlue09
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangrookie302
In CA, if the vehicle is not factory equipped with a proper positioning area for the plate, that vehicle is not required to have one. Also, some vehicles have been grandfathered in because of the year they were made.
I think you are mistaken here, unless you're speaking of a motorcycle or some very unusual vehicle. If the DMV supplies two plates then a front one is required.

V C Section 5200 Display of License Plates
5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5200.htm
Old 05-25-2012, 12:41 PM
aryrider

Indiana here and front plate not required, but I got my Mustang (used) from neighboring Illinois which does require front plates. So I got my front holes pre_drilled for free. I currently have a "decorative" plate up front since the holes were there but not sure I'm going to keep it.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:03 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Required here in Texas, but when I had a mishap and got a new front bumper without holes I left it off. I even got pulled over for speeding, but the only ticket I got was for the speed, he didn't even bother with the plate.

Bikes don't need em, so I feel cars shouldn't either. But it does aid law enforcement with identification of vehicles in parking lots, and at the light.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:05 AM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Here in Virginia they are required.

I hate the look of a front plate, my Saleen never had the bumper drilled or came with mounting brackets. I have been pulled over twice for it so I just pay the ticket and wait for the next time; I refuse to vandalize my own car.

My Boss already had the plate holder drilled in before I bought it so I'll leave the plate on until I get a new bumper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front License Plates