Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Replacing Rear frame rails on a 65

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 PM
stratostix

Default Replacing Rear frame rails on a 65

Ok.. so.. I bought a 65 mustang yesterday. I thought I checked it out well enough but after spending the whole day going over it today i discovered that both rear frame rails are rotted through from the shackle
area out.... so I've been reading up on how to replace these sections. I'm understanding everything fairly well but I'm a little bit confused as far as access to the area. Do I have to cut out the trunk floor board? What about the fender wells. Are they removable or do I have to cut them out too to access the frame rails? Little help from anyone who's done this before? Thx fellas.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:30 AM
stratostix

Bump.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:44 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Let's see pics of where it is rotted out, we can help you better if we can see what is going on.
No, the fender wells are not removable short of cutting them out and you shouldn't have to remove them to get the rails out short of them being rotted as well and in need of repair.

Unless the trunk floor board is shot as well, you can keep it in place to fix the rail, but it is easier if it is not there, so now would be the time to fix it or replace that as well if it needs it.
Lynn
Old 07-04-2012, 09:43 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

It is perfectly possible to replace the rails without disturbing the floor or any other intact areas. This photo shows a replaced rail section below the trunk floor. While the floor in this photo was eventually replaced, too, it was done one piece at a time to preserve dimensional integrity.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

I don't want to be a pain, but PLEASE remove the fuel tanks before you do any kind of welding, grinding or drilling in the rear area.
People think that nothing is ever going to happen, but it does. Always be safe, no make that "extremely safe".
Plus, a 65 Mustangs fuel tank literally takes 5 minutes to remove.

I had a friend who died that way years ago. The fuel tank in question was "empty". "Fumes" are explosive, he didn't die from burns, he died from the explosion.

It "always" pays to be safe!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:05 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The photo I posted is a fuel tank top only. All but an inch of the lower shell of the tank is gone. What remains is a tool for strengthening and stabilizing the rear of chassis.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:56 AM
stratostix

Thx fellas. I will post pics today or tomorrow (today's the 4th of july so i may be busy alll day). I will without a doubt need all ur collective expertise thru this process so plz stay tuned!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:38 PM
stratostix

Some Pictures I took real quick before running to the grocery store...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see the end of the frame rails are badly rotted. The frame area by the wheel doesnt seem to be rotted thru (poked it with screw driver) but its not in great shape either. Once I have her up on jacks I'll try to grind the rust off and see how much metal I have left. The back of the trunk looks pretty much new. The trunk floor itself should prob be replaced since I'm there. The sheet metal above the frame rails is starting to rot thru too so that'll have to be replaced. Can't post the wheel wells yet bc i dont have time atm but i'll update the pics soon. Keep the advice coming plz. I'll take more pics soon.

Last edited by stratostix; 07-04-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
The photo I posted is a fuel tank top only. All but an inch of the lower shell of the tank is gone. What remains is a tool for strengthening and stabilizing the rear of chassis.
Excellent! I am glad to see that someone is thinking the process thru!
That is a very good idea, I have never seen that done before.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:01 PM
stratostix

I removed the gas tank today gave it a closer inspection. Looks like the both trunk drop offs, rear frame rails and rear crossmember (not the tail light panel) will have to be replaced. I'm going to wire wheel all the metal back there (besides the obviously rotted area) to see how far I will have to cut the frame rails. Again, i will need your collective knowledge as this project progresses. I've NEVER worked on unibodies. Only wranglers (Tub on top of frame). I will be putting her up on jack stands tomorrow if time allows, remove the wheels and inspect the inner wheel wells. I will post more pics as I go. Please feel free to jump in and give me tips + advice. Thanks!

Last edited by stratostix; 07-05-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing Rear frame rails on a 65