Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steeda CAI keeps coming apart on me

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default Steeda CAI keeps coming apart on me

I popped my hood a few months ago and the filter was sitting there next to the tube it attaches to so I put it back in place and tightened everything else down good. Today Im driving through Atlanta and when I go to take off from a light I lose almost all power. I could barely get the car to even roll from a stop so I limped into a parking lot and popped the hood to find the CAI in pieces. The elbow came loose from the TB and from the filter mount and the filter was loose. I thought I had noticed it sounding a little different as I was driving earlier but didnt think twice about it. I even floored it at one point and chirped my tires in second (doesnt happen often with these summer tires and 3.31s but I guess massive amounts of airflow help?).

Has anyone else had problems like this with their intake? Luckily they are flat head screws so I used a penny to get it put back together and drive back to school. I wont be able to fully tighten it down until I go home this weekend but I'd like to find a permanent fix seeing as I had just tightened it all down not long ago.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My Steeda has been installed since 9/07 and removed twice for cleaning/reoiling and I've not had a problem. Are you overtightening? That will cause the tubes to warp and slide apart.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:58 AM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

I've never had an issue with mine. Weird.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Check your worm clamp. Remove it completely and make sure none of the teeth are pushed together. I had my car serviced by the dealer (to include a fuel service) and they must've taken the thing apart with an impact gun or something... I don't know how two of the teeth could've gotten smushed together but it prevented the clamp from tightening. So it would "feel" tight, but then loosen and prevent a good seal and ultimately would make complications like the car stalling.

My fix was simply to remove the damaged tooth and the screw was able to grab and tighten properly. This might not be your problem but if the pieces are falling apart then it's either the clamp or you warped something... either way it sounds like a clamp issue.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:38 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I have seen thread about this before, I think it may more common a problem than you think? Check out the Steeda forum
Old 08-21-2012, 12:55 PM
BTR-75
1st Gear Member

The Steeda CAI was one of the 1st mods I did to my 2010 GT and have never had an issue like this in the 2 years it's been on.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:30 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
I popped my hood a few months ago and the filter was sitting there next to the tube it attaches to so I put it back in place and tightened everything else down good. Today Im driving through Atlanta and when I go to take off from a light I lose almost all power. I could barely get the car to even roll from a stop so I limped into a parking lot and popped the hood to find the CAI in pieces. The elbow came loose from the TB and from the filter mount and the filter was loose. I thought I had noticed it sounding a little different as I was driving earlier but didnt think twice about it. I even floored it at one point and chirped my tires in second (doesnt happen often with these summer tires and 3.31s but I guess massive amounts of airflow help?).

Has anyone else had problems like this with their intake? Luckily they are flat head screws so I used a penny to get it put back together and drive back to school. I wont be able to fully tighten it down until I go home this weekend but I'd like to find a permanent fix seeing as I had just tightened it all down not long ago.
Sent you a PM. This is typically not something that we hear about with our intakes. I personally have not heard of any of my customers having an issue such as this.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:38 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

As an update, it came off again the other night. Instead of retyping the whole thing Ill just type the response I was sending Steeda (for some reason it wouldnt let me send the message so Ill post it here anyways).

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
Hi,

Did you purchase this CAI new or used?

Have you inspected the entire intake to be sure that it looks ok?

Thank you,
Brandon
I dont recall if I ever sent you a reply, but I did purchase the intake new. After the issues back in August I put the elbow back into place make absolutely certain it was installed tightly without over torquing it. It felt very secure and I thought I had fixed the problem.
That is, until the night before last when I couldn't make it up a hill at 3 am and had to reinstall it using my phone as a flashlight and a dime I had in my pocket to loosen and tighten the band clamp.

Back in August I inspected the elbow fairly closely and the ends were slightly deformed (not quite oval). Is it possible to have the elbow replaced? Im not too sure if there is a warranty on them or not. If not, is there a way to order a replacement for a cheaper price?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

PM sent.

Please contact me so that we can get this situation handled.

Thanks

TJ