4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MY HORN WONT STOP BLOWING!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:45 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Exclamation MY HORN WONT STOP BLOWING!!

Wtf. So since the pcm flash from sct. My alarm has went off three times at random. And now my horn blows non stop. Disonnected neg...soon as u put back. Starts screamin...pats i assume?

First things first. Which fuse cuts the damn horn so i can get it home. Ugh. Then, why are these electrical things happening all of a sudden? Nothing has changed, have a few hundred miles logged and months of run time without these issues. After locking up the pcm, sending to sct and reinstalling. Horn and alarm does what it wants.

Last edited by disposablehero27; 09-15-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:47 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Isnt pats related, is it an aftermarket alarm or stock. If u unbt the airbag u can disconnect the horn.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Stock alarm system. From.factory i believe. Pulled horn relay for now. Also my alarm goes off whenever it wants to. The only problem ive had electrically since the build is the door signal ding. When the doors open. It also comes on whenever it wants to.

1st problem. Door dinging whenever while driving.
2 just this week. Alarm goes off 3 times unprovoked. Twice 3 hrs apart. Once a day after.

3. My horn is permanently in the get the f out of the way position.

Help. Haha. My car will not go down without a fight to the BITTER END

Last edited by disposablehero27; 09-15-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There was no factory alarm system, however there was a Ford branded, dealer installed, alarm system made by Code Alarm, which was later sucked up by AudioVox. I believe they still offer some support for the Ford branded systems.

The control module looks like this:

Here's the description of the connections:

I do not believe it interconnects with PATS but who knows (alarm systems are a PITA).

Your '96 has PATS type A, described as below. There was no PATS starter interlock used on Mustangs until the 2005 MY:

Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Hm. The previous owner never mentioned anything about it. Said everything was pretty mich bone stock and factory. My "alarm" is the same as hitting the panic button. Only when tampering from the inside when things are locked. Only way to shut it off is to put the key in the ignition and turn the key ive been through most the car and havent seen any module like that. But then again i avoid electrical as mich as possible for obvious reasons.

However i do see the word pats and pcm quiet often. And the only real change in electronics was the pcm sent to sct. Upon returning it to me is when these problems occured. Never once before. This is why i thought they were related.

Last edited by disposablehero27; 09-16-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:35 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The "panic" function is part of the keyless entry system, controlled by the GEM (Generic Electronic Module). Neither it nor the PATS are "alarm" systems.

I understand that the problems seem to coincide with the PCM being reset by SCT, you should get in touch with them and seek their input. Unfortunately I do not have any wiring diagrams for PATS (or anything) older than 1999 so I really cannot say for sure what the PATS type A system "talks" to...
Old 09-16-2012, 11:20 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Ok man. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:17 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Is your key fob a ford key fob? Are you sure u have a ford alarm.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

I do have a ford key from the dealership. No idea where the alarm came from. Who installed it. Nada. Figured it was factory. Never had a problem in the past.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

As stated earlier I do not know why resetting the PCM caused this, however 'twas me I'd just yank the silly alarm system out.

My wife's '96 RAV-4 had an aftermarket key-fob actuated alarm that went nuts every time the battery was disconnected, and sometimes for no apparent reason at all. We received no documentation for it and found through trial and error that cycling the ignition key several times would shut it up. I put up with that for short time before just taking the whole mess out.

Her current '03 Highlander had an aftermarket alarm when we looked at it--I made the dealer take it out and return everything back to stock before we would buy it...

Quick Reply: MY HORN WONT STOP BLOWING!!