Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Moving the seat back

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 05:55 PM
JasonB

Default Moving the seat back

Hi guys, great forum.

I am -really- thinking of buying a stang, I am stuck between the v6 pony and the v8 gt, im in canada so the price is a cool 10 grand difference or so.

The other car I am considering is a charger.

The question I have is this.

IS there any aftermarket way to move the seat back more? I'm 6'7 and while I can get in and fit semi good a measy 1-2 inches more would make it from a good fit to an awsome fit.

The dealership is looking into it but I figured I would try someplace here were people who ows these cars might know.

Any info would be great, and i dont care about the seat behind me, honestly, how stuipid would you be to sit behind me anyways lol.

Edit, I guess it would have made more sence to post this in the general forum, yup, im a dumbass lol.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:25 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Moving the seat back

Hi Jason,

At 6'7", just remove the driver's seat and sit in the backseat to drive - problem solved!

I would think that the seat could be moved back a few inches by a resourceful individual with plenty of tools and a few beers (or is that the other way around?). Your dealership's body shop should be able to accomodate your need for the seat to be moved back. Best of luck to you!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:48 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

I'm also in Canada. Toronto.

Welcome.

I know on the previous model mustangs you could move the seat back by simply using a couple of extra holes that are already in the seat frame.......not sure about the new car though.

By the way.......buy the V8.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:23 AM
blackened
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the V8. don't worry about the seat. next time you go down to the dealership take a good look at the seat rails. oh, and i'd be REALLY suprised if the salesman actually did check into that for you, rather he won't and tell you he did and that it can be done. that kind of crap is just how cars are sold more often than not
Old 12-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Where is Canada?

I'm 5'8"... is there any way to move the seat forward?... LOL... Just kidding.

However -- I would like to raise the Passenger seat... but ford decided to mount the brackets in a complicated manor rather then flat on the floor where it would have been easy to do! [:@]
Old 12-02-2005, 02:52 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

will the seat actually go back further? the v6 I test drove last summer had only a few inches rear legroom, and I'm only 5-8.
You might have to lose the rear seat
Old 12-02-2005, 05:19 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford4v429

will the seat actually go back further? the v6 I test drove last summer had only a few inches rear legroom, and I'm only 5-8.
You might have to lose the rear seat
Agreed, my drivers seat is about an inch from touching the back seat when all the way back.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:44 PM
EdzRoush

Jason,
I'm 6'5" and actually have plenty of legroom. My problem was with my seat all the way back and slightly reclined (for headroom) then that put my arms at a stretch to reach the steering wheel. So my fix was to bring the seat up a little closer and put more bend in my knees so I can comfortably reach the steering wheel.

Also, ditto on what the other guys said about there being no room left behind your seat when it's all the way back. No chance of a rear seat passenger behind me (unless her legs are on the center console, which still might be fun!)

Go V8! So much fun.
Ed

[IMG]local://upfiles/22378/5C8A2486508A45F79C4B0C852880F20D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-07-2005, 07:09 PM
millergt
1st Gear Member

Dude, add another inch of room and drive with your shoes off. Seriously go with the V-8. Most any car can be adjusted to your need. Just depends on how much you want to pay. I see the problem with moving the seat to far back is can you still reach the steering wheel.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:23 AM
mustang mac

JasonB

I'm 6'6. Go with the GT. I love mine. I had to learn to recline the seat a little but a lot more room than the 2004 RX-8 I drove. Now I drive my GT to and from Houston to Dallas every weekend (240 miles, one way). Family lives in Houston and I work in Dallas. So I get to spend 8-9 hours a week in my car.

Quick Reply: Moving the seat back