Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Upgrade GT Coyote to spank Camaro SS-1LE

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:42 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Default Upgrade GT Coyote to spank Camaro SS-1LE

Alright, we all know that Chevy has shot back at the Boss 302 with their 1LE package for Camaro SS. Basically, the 1LE package is Camaro's version of the Mustang GT Track Pack. The only difference is the 1LE package is actually bad *** and makes the Camaro a beast at the track.

My questions follow this vid that reveal what the 1LE package does for the 2013+ Camaro SS

What suspension upgrade would I need to do to not just equal what a Camaro SS with 1LE package does, but destroy a Camaro SS-1LE at the track?

What springs and struts?
Caster and camber plates (if those would help at all)?
What Engine bay Tower strut brace?
What anti-roll bars?
What LCA & UCA upgrades?
What tires are the best: 285mm width? 315mm width?

The obvious limitation of the Coyote GT is the solid rear axle.
What upgrades can make the SRA destroy the SS-1LE on the track?
If I would have to go Watts-link, I am not below that. I know that PHBs have their limitations, even the adjustable ones.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

driver mod + sticky tires will most likely do it lol

but yea throw some konis and some springs on it 1st, plus those 2 things above and you should be able to take most of them out
Old 02-17-2013, 04:44 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

What really sucks about that comparison is no Boss. Why would Ford not send a Boss?

Sorry I cant answer you questions, I'm a 1320 guy. When I tighten up my Strange shocks and struts my car feels amazingly tight around turns. I wish we had autocross here.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
What really sucks about that comparison is no Boss. Why would Ford not send a Boss?
My take on why FoMoCo was not willing to provide a 2013 Boss or even a 2012 Boss is because they have already been spoken for.
Only a set number were ever made, and Ford already had every one earmarked for dealerships across the US.

If a boss were to have shown up in that comparo, it would have had to have been one that someone already purchased.
I wonder if the car mag publishers could have purchased one? They could have not just used it for a Chevy vs Ford comparo, but they could have used it for other magazine publication purposes: Whats in a Boss, tested it not just against Camaro, but other cars as well, so forth and so on.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Maybe that magazine just didnt have enough clout to warrant a Boss? IDK. I do know that hardly anybody leaves their mustang stock, so let stack that $43k Camaro against one of our stangs. First of all we have way more bang for the buck stock and modded, well mustangs just really rock there.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

They likely did not provide a boss because they didn't want to see a cheaper car beat it on lap times :/
Old 02-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Alright, we all know that Chevy has shot back at the Boss 302 with their 1LE package for Camaro SS. Basically, the 1LE package is Camaro's version of the Mustang GT Track Pack. The only difference is the 1LE package is actually bad *** and makes the Camaro a beast at the track.

My questions follow this vid that reveal what the 1LE package does for the 2013+ Camaro SS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtmku2Lw5es

What suspension upgrade would I need to do to not just equal what a Camaro SS with 1LE package does, but destroy a Camaro SS-1LE at the track?

What springs and struts?
Caster and camber plates (if those would help at all)?
What Engine bay Tower strut brace?
What anti-roll bars?
What LCA & UCA upgrades?
What tires are the best: 285mm width? 315mm width?

The obvious limitation of the Coyote GT is the solid rear axle.
What upgrades can make the SRA destroy the SS-1LE on the track?
If I would have to go Watts-link, I am not below that. I know that PHBs have their limitations, even the adjustable ones.
Koni Yellows, Never underestimate how much a good performance Shock/Strut will change how one of these cars behaves. Add a Watt's Link and nuff said.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:48 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
They likely did not provide a boss because they didn't want to see a cheaper car beat it on lap times :/
I unfortunately cannot deny that will happen. The ss-1LE package has thrown down phenomenal times on many road courses.

The Boss took aim at BMW M3 and outdid the M3. Camaro wasn't even a target because the SS handling sucks. Pre-1LE package that is. When the Boss spanked the M3, Chevy took aim at the Boss. So now, even a Boss would need suspension mods to equal or outdo the 1LE package.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 07-07-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
Koni Yellows, Never underestimate how much a good performance Shock/Strut will change how one of these cars behaves. Add a Watt's Link and nuff said.
Thanks, that defo helps. The shocks/struts and springs should address the nose dives the vid mentioned, and a Watts link should help with rear planting some.

What about body roll? What anti roll bars would address this?

Also, will the S197 chassis be rigid enough for 450-500+ Rwhp and for turns and all? I know the SN95 is more rigid than a Fox body and the S197 is more rigid than the SN95, but is it rigid enough for what a GT500 puts out power wise?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:39 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

There was a thread I started complaining about the exact same thing from the article in MT.

Ford's track pack does not address the needed problem solving for the Mustang GT nearly as well as Chevy has for the Camaro. Way better springs, shocks, sways, watts link, some simple chassis stiffening, brake duct cooling, and of course Ford's real problem, properly off set wide wheels and wider sticky tires.

All this would still bring the Mustang in at a competitive price with the 1LE package, but Ford likes to feed us to the after market and tuners, rather than complete the job with a real track pack. Erik

Quick Reply: Upgrade GT Coyote to spank Camaro SS-1LE