5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car has terrible idle, boggy, and bad throttle response. (VIDEO INSIDE!)

Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM
lavertue

Hmmm, stumped again. My meter wasn't getting juice last night, but my tps is good. Any other ideas on what to check? I still haven't figured out how to read my codes.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Borisbadenov

Does the oil pressure switch have a fuel cut off ?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Nope.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 PM
lavertue

I still can't figure out this check engine light thing. Anyone in the Tampa, Florida Area? Haha.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Since the problem started right after installing your new fuel pump, that seems the logical place to start. New components don't always work right. Electric connections don't always hook up properly. Anything you touched in the process might have been mis-installed, or dirt, bits of gaskets, etc. may have been dislodged. Dirt in the tank may be blocking fuel pickup.

To avoid checking everything in the fuel system, I check the fuel pressure at the fuel pressure relief valve as that pressure will only be correct if everything upstream is working.

To conduct the test:
Disconnect power, Remove the fuel pressure relief valve cap and attach a fuel pressure test gauge. Attach power and crank the engine. Look for 30 to 45 pounds per square inch. Pressure that's too high can indicate that the pressure regulator is malfunctioning. Pressure that's too low indicates fuel filter, fuel pump or clogging problems

I hope this is helpful
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 AM
lavertue

Originally Posted by rbowmar
Since the problem started right after installing your new fuel pump, that seems the logical place to start. New components don't always work right. Electric connections don't always hook up properly. Anything you touched in the process might have been mis-installed, or dirt, bits of gaskets, etc. may have been dislodged. Dirt in the tank may be blocking fuel pickup.

To avoid checking everything in the fuel system, I check the fuel pressure at the fuel pressure relief valve as that pressure will only be correct if everything upstream is working.

To conduct the test:
Disconnect power, Remove the fuel pressure relief valve cap and attach a fuel pressure test gauge. Attach power and crank the engine. Look for 30 to 45 pounds per square inch. Pressure that's too high can indicate that the pressure regulator is malfunctioning. Pressure that's too low indicates fuel filter, fuel pump or clogging problems

I hope this is helpful
I will give this a try, I need to locate a gauge that I can borrow, but I will find one and test it out, and let you guys know the results.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:36 PM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

this sounds very similar to the problem the engine in my factory five roadster is currently exhibiting. i ran it out of gas a couple of weeks back and she's not real happy with me right now. new fuel filter, plugs, cleaned iac and throttle body, can of seafoam in the tank. seemed to solve the problem until i was driving it yesterday. terrible idle. sputters something awful under load. blowing black smoke. anyway, fwiw, my local oreilly auto parts store will "rent" the fuel pressure gauge set up. they put a charge on your credit card they then reverse when you bring it back.