V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2000 Mustang Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 AM
Michael Sewell

Default 2000 Mustang Upgrades

So I just got my first car and it is a nice 2000 Ford Mustang Base Model 3.8L v6 Automatic. Only has 95k miles on it! And so far people have told me that to make this car more amazing is a cold air intake and dual exhaust. So I'm curious on what should I get. It needs to stay smog-able in California. pretty much they told me what to get but not like what brand to get or anything like that. So thats why I'm here! I've heard there are certain ones that might not be smog-able in cali so i'm just trying to make sure i get one thats gonna be able to smog, but still get the best smog-able parts. Thanks for any and all help
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Mustang Upgrades-150423_522135454505882_155789816_n.jpg  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 AM
Michael Sewell

*Update* Ok so I'm new hear so i just did some reading around about what people are doing with their stangs like mine and so far people just say that as far as CAI I should just put in a replacement K&N filter and remove the snorkel. Now I'm also new to cars in general besides your average stuff. So I can tell what the filter is, but what part is the snorkel?

Also I was curious on maybe a BAMA tuner?

And as far as exhausts I found this
http://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04-v6-mac-catback.html

when I found it the person said that they refuse to get true dual and get this instead. And I'm wondering why not get true dual?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Michael Sewell

*Update* Ok so I'm new this site so i just did some reading around about what people are doing with their stangs like mine and so far people just say that as far as CAI I should just put in a replacement K&N filter and remove the snorkel. Now I'm also new to cars in general besides your average stuff. So I can tell what the filter is, but what part is the snorkel?

Also I was curious on maybe a BAMA tuner?

And as far as exhausts I found this
http://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04-v6-mac-catback.html

when I found it the person said that they refuse to get true dual and get this instead. And I'm wondering why not get true dual?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Michael Sewell

so I was just checking out pics of people who got the mac catback. And it seems that they are below the bumber and stock exhaust isnt. so i was wondering if i'd have problems with speed bump? like should i take them a little slower than usual?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

This is all subjective and it depends on what you want with the car. Keep in mind a CAI/Drop in filter and exhaust will not change the performance of the car much at all, mainly just the exhaust tone, but that's a good thing.

The tuner could be useful if you're an auto to get rid of some of the "auto lag" older Fords had, but that's about it, performance wise, again, you won't see much hp being made.

The exhaust will not be an issue, some sites used to sell GT Inserts which allowed the rear bumper to be cut and the GT trim inserts to be put in. If not then that's fit there still won't be problems. Even if the car is lowered there won't be issues.

Welcome to the forums, read the tech stickies at the top of the, lots of AMAZING info in there.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Michael Sewell

well I'm not exactly planning on racing lol i'm more looking for the nice sound but maybe a little more power would be fun too. I have no idea how to even use a tuner in the first place lol. sorry but what are gt inserts?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

They were some kind of bumper cut out insert. I've never seen them in person, but I know they did exist at one time. Maybe somebody that's used them can chime in on that one.

Before you purchase exhaust I would strongly advise listening to sound clips. There should be a sound clip section in either the top of this forum or the top of V6 general discussion. Also check out youtube. Remember there are a lot of different setups, so try to find just mufflers only (cat back) then couple that with the mid pipe you want (x, h, straights). Lastly look for vids with long tube headers to decide of that's an additional route you want to take. All of these will change the tone.

The real question you need to ask is how much power do you want. Factory 99-04s all have 190 bhp (give or take a little due to factory changes) which is around 150-170 rwhp, transmission, condition, dyno, and year pending. Yes certain 00/01 Mustang V6s ran rich from the factory which produced lower rwhp numbers, those cars will get the best gains from a tuner by simply getting those ratios right.

What does rear wheel power translate into, well that's a lot of things, given weight of the car, driver experience, torque, weather, etc. But in general a 99-04 Mustang V6 will run the 1/4 mile in around 16.0 seconds flat. Yes there have been people with manuals run 15.4s and what not, but those were professional drivers on really good conditions, your average person just won't do that.

Now with that said a 99-04 Mustang V6 making around 200 rwhp with no gear work will run the 1/4 mile in around 14.5-15.0 seconds, again conditions pending.

A 250 rwhp V6 will run those times in 13.5-14.0s, one last time, conditions pending.

So with all that said you need to decide what you want out of the car and what makes the most economical sense for you. A drop in and exhaust may only reduce your 1/4 mile times by around 0.10 seconds, but will drastically change the way the car sounds. If that's all you want/need then fantastic, but if you want more, be careful where and how you spend your money. I generally tell people investing in a 94-04 Mustang V6 is generally a very, very bad decision because you're simply burning $100 bills as you'll never recover any of the money. Building a V6 Mustang, or any Mustang for that matter, is done out of passion, so don't expect the value to raise, if anything it can fall.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Michael Sewell

ok so ive learned so far that changing the catback wont affect smog. but what if i change the mid pipe as well? will that do anything as far as smog in california? and also i know that i can't be over 95db so i wanna make sure i dont go over that. I understand that putting money into it really isnt going to do much on resale, but i love mustangs(they are my favorite car) and since this is my first mustang and my first car I'd love to make it how i like it. and until i eventually upgrade to a gt or shelby im gonna keep this car! So one thing i love is sound i Love it when it sounds good. and i love having some acceleration to show off sometimes, but i understand that this is a v6 and im not really gonna get that till i get a gt or shelby
Old 03-07-2013, 11:09 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Changing to an off road setup with most aftermarket systems will push the car to over 100 db, not much over, but definitely over.

However with that said off road setups won't pass smog so there you go.

You can change the mid pipes per say but not in the manner you're probably thinking.

Here's what you'll do:

Have a shop cut the pipes just before where the pipes merge to a y creating the single exhaust. Then have them cut the pipes at the cats. Then have them weld in high flow cats, then weld in your cat back.

So basically what you're going to do is get a GT catback system and have high flow cats welded in. Some aftermarket mid pipes come with high flow cats, but I'm not sure how many that are quality (meaning won't rust to sh*t in a few years) are out there now a days. Just make sure it's stainless steel, polished steel.