Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Zacmustang
Banned

Question Washing convertible

I am new to the forum and am not sure if this is the right place to ask a question, but here it goes. I own a 2011 Convertible Soft-Top Mustang. Is it ok to take through an automatic car wash? I am most worried about when the drying part of the wash goes over the car blowing the water off. Could this get caught on the lip of the soft top? Any feedback woud be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

I never run mine through a car wash. I feel that the force of water coming through the spay nozzles can blow water into the car. I just hand wash with a terry cloth towel and keep a good coat of wax on it. Most of the time, I just hose it off with plain water and use an absorbent towel to get the water spots off.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Zacmustang
Banned

Thank you! I'll stick with that then.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:43 PM
illini4
1st Gear Member

Notice the response came from Georgia, and I see you are in Michigan. I live in Ohio and hand washing outside isn't an option during Nov-Feb. I've been using the self-serve coin operated places with the pressurized wand sprayer, but they do a poor job. The full service wash places do a much better job, but I'm concerned about the blowers causing the top to flutter and puting strain on the attachments to the frame. If there's a good answer other than a heated garage with a drain, I don't have it.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM
BroncoTrooper

I feel the same way about washing mine in those automatic places. I just hear the water pounding on the top and it drives me nuts. Plus, I can do so much better of a job with a bucket and soap myself. Definitely sucks during the colder months though, I agree.

Last edited by BroncoTrooper; 02-24-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 AM
peterzinyou

Just bought an 04 GT convt, and really gave the top a good cleaning with the hose, be careful around the rear window, was spraying alot of water to get dirt, etc. out of the crevices, and when I was done, I had water inside of car. Thinking it's best to just let ther water reason down on car.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Marky82
2nd Gear Member

I live in CT and wash my convertible all the time during the winter. I bought an adapter for my kitchen sink that allows me to connect a hose so if it's too cold for the outside spicket I connect the hose to the sink and run it out the window. I also have Optimum No-Rinse which lets you wash the car using two buckets of water and doesn't require a hose to rinse off. If it's SUPER cold out and my car is relatively clean, like after a light rain, (aka no mud, sand, salt...etc) I have a waterless car wash called
Dri Wash n' Guard Dri Wash n' Guard
Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 PM
White03Vert
3rd Gear Member

Zac, I don't mean to hijack your thread at all so I hope it doesn't come across that way.

Is there some kind of protectant that can be applied to the convertible top to prolong the life of it?

Back on topic, I don't take my GT through automatic washes at all. For one, when the vehicle is presoaked at the entrance, the employees use the same brush on your paint that was just used on the wheels/tires of the vehicle in front of you. Save yourself the problems and wash the car yourself. The paint will stay looking nice longer I believe.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:36 PM
bigB14479

not to highjack the post, but have you guys ever had a problem with water draining into the passenger compartment after a run through the touchless wash? i would guess mine dumped at least a 1/2 gallon on the passenger side floor board when i pulled out of the wash bay. it did not happen during the wash, only after i started to move. i had the A/C 0n if that matters. any thought would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:21 AM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by White03Vert

Is there some kind of protectant that can be applied to the convertible top to prolong the life of it?
I clean mine with Ragg Top cleaner and then go over it with some 303.

Quick Reply: Washing convertible