4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How involved to install a catback with no lift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 PM
razor9546

Default How involved to install a catback with no lift?

I was originally going to get SLP LM1's or Flow 44's welded in but the shop I went to said it's not worth it considering the cost of pipes to make it fit, labor, etc. They said spending a few hundred more dollars I can get a cat back, which will sound better and actually give hp gains, which they are correct and I do agree, but i'm not looking to break the bank. I'm pretty sure I want this http://www.americanmuscle.com/slpexhaust.html (my max is 500 for a catback system) the only other in my price range is flow american thunder which i think is not worth $500 for a small difference over the stock sound. Problem is how involved is it really to install it yourself without a lift? I have tools to cut out the stock exhaust and two jack stands and a jack obviously, but I don't know if i can get it done with just that. Just looking for some advice or tips from anyone who has experience doing exhaust work without a lift. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I am pretty sure you can install a cat-back without a lift. This is a mod that many people do and I highly doubt all those people went to a shop with a lift.

If you read the instructions on the link you provided it does not mention a lift is necessary. (edit: reread your post...it does not look very difficult)

I have to question though how the shop figures spending a little more on a catback will actually give hp gains because I doubt catbacks add any noticeable power.

Last edited by 99GTvert; 04-22-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 PM
razor9546

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
I am pretty sure you can install a cat-back without a lift. This is a mod that many people do and I highly doubt all those people went to a shop with a lift.

If you read the instructions on the link you provided it does not mention a lift is necessary. (edit: reread your post...it does not look very difficult)

I have to question though how the shop figures spending a little more on a catback will actually give hp gains because I doubt catbacks add any noticeable power.
well they said getting a cat back is the "correct" way rather then having 2.5 in mufflers welded into 2.25 pipes. well, they did say i should get a 3in pipe magnaflow magna pack catback which would add some hp, but i really don't care about hp gains, i'm just looking for a nice loud sound.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

If you just want to change the sound then get some new mufflers welded in.

The previous owner of my 99 had flowmasters welded in...and I don't think anyone can really tell they were just welded in versus the actual catback without looking underneath the car.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Ive built entire cars with no lift, all u need is a jack and a jackstand or two
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razor9546
I was originally going to get SLP LM1's or Flow 44's welded in but the shop I went to said it's not worth it considering the cost of pipes to make it fit, labor, etc. They said spending a few hundred more dollars I can get a cat back, which will sound better and actually give hp gains, which they are correct and I do agree, but i'm not looking to break the bank. I'm pretty sure I want this http://www.americanmuscle.com/slpexhaust.html (my max is 500 for a catback system) the only other in my price range is flow american thunder which i think is not worth $500 for a small difference over the stock sound. Problem is how involved is it really to install it yourself without a lift? I have tools to cut out the stock exhaust and two jack stands and a jack obviously, but I don't know if i can get it done with just that. Just looking for some advice or tips from anyone who has experience doing exhaust work without a lift. Thanks.
Razor,

That SLP system will be awesome on your New Edge GT! A catback exhaust can be installed without a lift pretty easily. I installed Long tubes, X-pipe and a catback in my driveway on my 2004 Mach 1 without any issues!

Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Put it on jack stands and have a bud give you a hand, easy!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 AM
BTR-75
1st Gear Member

I used tire ramps when I installed my catbacks and there was enough room. A lift would be nice for the extra room but jack stands or a set of tire ramps is all you need.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

As said before, 4 tall jack stands, floor jack and you're golden. A buddy would make it a little easier as far as holding the exhaust up etc, but you can do this by yourself. Just takes a little effort.