Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear Diff vent tube issue is NO JOKE (Pics) - 2013 GT 8.8" Axle

Old 04-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Default Rear Diff vent tube issue is NO JOKE (Pics) - 2013 GT 8.8" Axle

So I crawled under my car today to make an exhaust adjustment, and also see if my rear diff cover is leaking and noticed massive amounts of fluid covering the axle.

Took it down the street got it on a lift... The vent tube for the axle is pouring fluid out like there is no tomorrow.

I know I hear or read about a TSB on this issue, but couldn't find the TSB... But for those who know of it this is what you might be experiencing.

TSB

Printable View (48 KB) TSB
12-8-15
REAR DRIVE AXLE VENT - OIL LEAK
Publication Date: August 17, 2012
FORD:
2011-2013 Mustang

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2013 Mustang vehicles with the rear axle vent on the left (driver) side may exhibit a fluid leak from the rear axle vent.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

Inspect the rear drive axle assembly for an oil leak from the rattle cap vent located on the left side of the vehicle.
If oil is dripping from the axle tube vent, proceed to Step 2.
If only light oil residue is around the rattle cap vent, this is a normal condition. This article does not apply.
Remove the rattle cap vent from the axle tube. Clean any oil residue from the axle tube using Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner.
Apply Motorcraft® Thread Sealant with PTFE to rattle cap vent threads, reinstall the rattle cap vent and torque to 20 N-m (15 lb-ft).
Check fluid level and set the level 5 mm (3/16") below the fill hole.
PART NUMBERPART NAMEXY-75W140-QLMotorcraft® SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle LubricantXL-3Motorcraft® Additive Friction ModifierPM-4-AMotorcraft® Metal Brake Parts CleanerTA-24Motorcraft® Thread Sealant with PTFE

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

12-05-08
WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME120815A2011-2013 Mustang: Inspect, Clean And Reseal The Rear Axle Vent, Includes Time To Adjust Fluid Level (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)0.4 Hr.
DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE401042
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company (found on all Mustangs)

Last edited by Gary Ugarek; 04-28-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

At least for me the dust from my dirt road sticks to it and covers it up.

I wonder if a lighter weight gear oil would cool better and prevent this problem.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

I dunno, but definitely taking it in next week to have it fixed. I got RP in there and don't want to be wasting fluid like this.

I have learned one thing, gear oil is a great rust remover, look at the pics. =O)
Old 04-28-2013, 04:29 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I've been reading up on the 75w90 vs. 75w140 and from what I can tell Ford switched to 75w140 because of premature clutch plate failures in the limited slip diffs. Not sure what year they did that, but pre s197.

Maybe the thicker oil increases heat and causes the pressure to build up more. My diff is hot after a drive, i'll get a reading with my infrared temp gun tomorrow. I brushed it with my shoulder one time and thought damn that's hot. It doesn't help that the exhaust is right there.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:35 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

This is a very well known issue. I'm surprised the TSB you referenced only has then pulling off the rattle cap, putting teflon on it and reinstalling. Other TSBs had them replacing the rattle cap piece with the turkey baster like vent. The best option is replacing the axle cover with the gt500 finned cover and relocating the rattle cap to the top of the cover and just plugging the axle tube.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:47 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The real question is why did ford move the vent to the drivers side and so much closer to the housing? Mine is on the passenger side at about the center of the axle tube.

3.73 gears probably increase the heat. I'm assuming this is all caused by heat/pressure building up like a volcano.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
This is a very well known issue. I'm surprised the TSB you referenced only has then pulling off the rattle cap, putting teflon on it and reinstalling. Other TSBs had them replacing the rattle cap piece with the turkey baster like vent. The best option is replacing the axle cover with the gt500 finned cover and relocating the rattle cap to the top of the cover and just plugging the axle tube.
Seems the turkey baster only works for 2011. with the 13's because the cap was relocated, the baster, from what I am reading on lowered stangs, melts because of exposure to the exhaust.

I have read about the cover, but if ford ain't paying for it... I am not. I believe FORD has to own up to this fiasco or what happens when these things blow out too much oil and the rear seizes from lack of lubrication? You lock up a rear I would think that is going to be one abrupt stop you don't want to mess with. Plus Ford had the lock ups in the 90's which caused severe crashes if I remember correctly. (rangers or explorers I believe it was) - this was a while ago so don't trust what I say 100%, but I believe there was a recall on this particular item (some fires as well)

They should cough up for the cover and relocation because whether you run RP like I do, or standard FRGO (ford rear gear oil), it is slopping up my parking space. plus slopping up my under carriage.

While I didn't pay sticker for mine, these are $36,000+ cars Ford should be putting a little more quality into this design wouldn't you agree?

Also, I don't need my apartment management bitching my 2013 is leaving oil spots all over the newly paved parking lot. I had a cover leak which I finally fixed prior to them paving the lots, but my spot was just gobs of RGO from that leak, and now this thing is spurting like old faithful.

But my point of the post is for those who may have ignored it was to warn them this is what they might be seeing.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Mine doesn't leave spots on my cement driveway, but maybe that's because of the sand soaking it up like cat litter. Mines been spewing oil for years and I tried to remove the fill plug to check it and oil started coming out, so I screwed it back in.

I ordered some redline heavy duty shockproof gear oil, so I'll see if that makes it worse or better.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

I am definitely interested in knowing the temps you come up with when you test moose. Please update the thread when you do.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:09 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek
I have read about the cover, but if ford ain't paying for it... I am not. I believe FORD has to own up to this fiasco or what happens when these things blow out too much oil and the rear seizes from lack of lubrication? You lock up a rear I would think that is going to be one abrupt stop you don't want to mess with. Plus Ford had the lock ups in the 90's which caused severe crashes if I remember correctly. (rangers or explorers I believe it was) - this was a while ago so don't trust what I say 100%, but I believe there was a recall on this particular item (some fires as well)
I completely get where you are coming from, definitely work the warranty side of things while you still have it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Diff vent tube issue is NO JOKE (Pics) - 2013 GT 8.8" Axle