View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Sonic Blue V6
Remember Reach
Default Snapped Steeda Sport Spring

I figured this warranted its own thread, since apparently snapped springs aren't so common.

Here's the original thread

If you were too lazy to click the link, here's what happened:

I parked in the grass for a Greek Week event (I'm in a fraternity) on Friday. When I parked, I wasn't going though the grass at any speed whatsoever (feathering the clutch, and I parked probably three feet off the pavement). There weren't any bumps and I didn't bottom out. I swear I have absolutely no idea how it happened, but when I got in the car and started to move, I heard a really loud popping/grinding noise. I thought my front bumper was caught on something so I got out and looked, but I was in the clear. I drove home and the noise wouldn't go away. I got out of my car and now that I was on level pavement I could see the problem...my left front fender was sitting pretty much on the wheel itself.

Click the image to open in full size.

I figured it was a busted shock, and I didn't want to drive it. I ended up calling a tow company and having it towed to the body shop. We get it off the wrecker and I leave it at the shop (a brother's dad owned the shop). They let me know that they would call me when they got it on the lift and got it checked out.

About an hour later, I get a call and the guy told me that our original prediction of a busted shock was incorrect...I had busted a spring. I couldn't believe it. He told me that it wasn't a crack, it was a clean break, all the way through.

Passenger's side spring (with Steeda/Steeda part # visible):

Now for the carnage...

I just want to clarify that I'm not trying to throw Steeda under the bus in any way. I love their products. I just want get this out there because this is potentially a very, very dangerous thing. I don't know what would have happened if this had occurred while I had been going down the interstate at eighty miles an hour. I don't know if it was this spring that had bad metal or if it was an entire batch. I think I'm going to end up replacing all four of my springs just to be safe. The previous owner had them put on, but the car only has 71,000 miles on it, so it's not like fatigue should have taken hold. I've never taken it to the track, so it's not like that would be the reason. I avoid every pothole on the highway if possible, and I take speedbumps at literally 2 miles an hour. I don't have any idea what caused this.

So yeah, surprising day.
It's like building a howitzer that also shoots BBs just so you can use it around the house.
4LiterSonic is offline   Reply With Quote