Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3.7L with Automatic; Burnout question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:12 PM
manley845

Default 3.7L with Automatic; Burnout question

So, I imagine this question has been asked already, but I can't seem to find a good answer. I'm hoping you guys can help me out better than Google

I recently bought a 2013 V6 with Automatic, ya ya ya I shoulda got a 5.0 manual, but I really enjoy this car.

Anyways, It seems that the Auto version feels limited on power when attempting a burnout or break-torque. I don't just mean that the V6 is low on power, I mean that it feels like there is something in the computer actually restricting the car from spinning the tires.

Do you guys know if these cars have such a restriction, and if so, is there a programmer that eliminates it?

My Nissan Titan was restriced to 60% throttle below 40mph, and I wonder if the Mustang has something like that.

Thanks guys
Old 05-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

Is the traction control kicking in? I don't have this problem because I don't have that. As for programmers, American Muscle has several programmers that add horsepower as well as torque and a few other things. I don't have one YET but if you do consider a programmer it has been suggested that you get a CAI/programmer combo to squeeze more horsepower and torque out of the 3.7. When I do burnout's I can take it to the redline if I wanted so.... I have no idea, maybe someone could give you a better response than I have. Good luck, and keep burning rubber!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, you have to turn the traction control off or you won't do anything.

It is on the console, next to the four ways and the trunk release.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Traction control will definitely kill attempts to spin the wheels. Read the OM.

Additional power will help with that, too. A good CAI & custom tune is about your best bang-for-the-buck short of going FI. It'll also even out the power curve a good bit since the 3.7 is programmed from the factory for power high in the RPM band compared to the low end.

And what gears are you running?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 PM
JimC

All 2013 automatics have a torque management system. Can't do a burn out with the stock tune because the built in management system won't let you get it above 2,000 rpm doing a brake stand.

Has nothing to do with traction control or V6 vs V8. Turn the TCS and advance track off fully and the car still won't go over 2,000 rpm. It is all in the tune -get an aftermarket tune and you can do a burn out.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:53 PM
manley845

Originally Posted by JimC
All 2013 automatics have a torque management system. Can't do a burn out with the stock tune because the built in management system won't let you get it above 2,000 rpm doing a brake stand.

Has nothing to do with traction control or V6 vs V8. Turn the TCS and advance track off fully and the car still won't go over 2,000 rpm. It is all in the tune -get an aftermarket tune and you can do a burn out.
That's what I was thinking.

It just seems limited by the computer, not the engine.

I played around tonight and the engine will NOT rev above about 1900-2000rpm when brake is applied.

Additionally, when accelerating from a stop, it appears to have part throttle restriction until about 30-40MPH and then it seems that the engine begins to run unrestricted. My girlfriend agreed that she could feel the car holding back.

I really hope this is the case [and I'll find out soon enough, as I plan on buying a tuner soon] because I can only imagine the potential this thing really has, once unrestricted.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:11 PM
manley845

Found something!!

http://qa2k3.fordtechservice.dealerc...sbrakeover.pdf

Brake Over Accelerator
Old 05-03-2013, 07:31 AM
manley845

Woo Whooo!!!

I got the tires to spin, lol.

So, I thought I tried this yesterday, but I guess I had a brain fart or something.
But, if you hold down the Traction Control button for more than 5 seconds it will turn off the Brake-Over-Accelerator feature and you can spin the tires.

I do think a programmer will help out a lot, at least in regards to getting the tires to start spinning. Once they're going though, holy crap! lol
Old 05-05-2013, 03:25 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default Burnout

I had a 2011 V6 with auto. Stock gears were 2.73. I turned off traction control and advance trac. Still not much though I love the car. 31/32 mpg on hwy. Then the bug to mod hit me. I went to AM for stuff. I got the Bama turne, BBK long tube headers, X pipe and mufflers. Went to dealer had them install 3.73 gears, reason is they know more about that then I. Also had them put on my long tube and x pipe.

Then when I turned on trac and advance trac the tires would smoke from a stand still and even many times when rolling they would spin some with trac off. Made the car a whole lot more fun.

Last edited by mustangergt; 05-05-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 AM
manley845

Originally Posted by mustangergt
I had a 2011 V6 with auto. Stock gears were 2.73. I turned off traction control and advance trac. Still not much though I love the car. 31/32 mpg on hwy. Then the bug to mod hit me. I went to AM for stuff. I got the Bama turne, BBK long tube headers, X pipe and mufflers. Went to dealer had them install 3.73 gears, reason is they know more about that then I. Also had them put on my long tube and x pipe.

Then when I turned on trac and advance trac the tires would smoke from a stand still and even many times when rolling they would spin some with trac off. Made the car a whole lot more fun.
That's awesome to hear.

I can't wait to get it tuned, install LT headers and off-road pipe, and gears [trying to decide between 3.73 and 4.10]. I mostly just drive in town at speeds under 65mph, so I'm thinnking I'm not as worried about highway MPG's and may go with the 4.10's

Quick Reply: 3.7L with Automatic; Burnout question