Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bought a '06 supercharged mustang. Questions

Old 04-28-2013, 03:54 AM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Default Bought a '06 supercharged mustang. Questions

Normally, I would never think about buying a used car with a supercharger, but this thing looks CLEAN. Now keep in mind, I'm still deployed overseas. I had my dad go look at it and get it for me. He knows his way around cars and I would trust me with anything.
Anyway, here are the details on the car:

2006 Mustang GT w/ 74k miles
Previous owner bought from dealership and drove it for 3 months
He also purchased a 2 year aftermarket warranty, so there's 21 months left on it
Interior is extremely clean
Was told that the engine was stroked to 5.0L and that it had forged internals. No paperwork

Here's what it has:
Vortech V2 supercharger
Snow Performance Method. Injection
Diablo MAFia MAF tuner
3.73 gears
O/R Xpipe
Magnaflow exhaust
SCT tuner
Pillar-mounted boost, wideband gauges
Steeda 18" chrome wheels with Nitto 555's
Steeda lowering springs
Backup camera

And rewired audio:
2 12" stubs (haven't asked what brand...didn't care)
7" touchscreen head unit

He says it pushes 450rwhp at 14 p.s.i.
The main reason I got it is because of the warranty. Can't go wrong right?
Just wondering what are some things to check for? I won't be home for a couple months, but would like to get a list started.
Change spark plugs, oil, trans. fluid? What else should I do?
And I also think there's more to the car than what the guy knew of.
What should I look for?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I don't know what to say. Don't buy a car in the states while you are stationed over seas. I would have to see a car like that in person and drive it before buying.

Why would someone buy a car and then sell it in 3 months? Because there is something wrong with it.

I would want to verify it actually has forged internals by pulling the oil pan or possibly putting a camera in the spark plug hole. You can get a cheap usb camera on amazon.com that will at least tell you if the pistons are stock.

Aftermarket warranties are usually garbage and I doubt they'd cover anything related to the blower.

14psi would be well over 450rwhp, even with a lower compression engine, especially if it's stroked. Meth injection? No intercooler/heat exchanger?

Just trying to keep it real, not trying to rain on your parade.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 AM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Yes I'll admit it was dumb. It seems too good to be true as well. The guy that bought it has kids and the wife said it was his mid-life crisis. Sounded like bull****. But I got my dad to go look at it a couple times and drive it. He knows a lot more about cars than me. He said it looked like and drove like a brand new car. Honestly, the warranty is what really made me want it. I hope it covers some things. Hmm. He also said the previous owner went through a divorce, wife took the car to dealership and traded it in..etc.
I don't know. We'll see how it goes
Old 04-28-2013, 07:35 AM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Here's the engine bay
Old 04-28-2013, 07:39 AM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I'm running about 9.5 psi at 450
Old 04-28-2013, 12:07 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by derboesekoenig
Any more pictures of it? Did the guy have it on craigslist. I wouldn't say it was dumb, I just hope you didn't pay extra expecting a built motor.

The part about the built motor, meth injection, 14psi and 450rwhp rubs me the wrong way.

It's possible the guy doesn't know how much power or boost it's making. My guess is someone put the non-intercooled vortech on and wanted more power, so added the meth injection and 10psi pulley. That's the cheapest/easiest way to add more boost.

Anyway, I'd want to make sure it is a built motor before pushing any more power through it.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:43 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Currently deployed as well, but I can tell you about one of my sergeants who did exactly this same thing (even had the same supercharger). Came back and showed me his awesome supercharged GT and wanted to race me. He blew up his engine and sold it a couple weeks later. I wouldn't do it.

Needless to say, I won that race.

It may seem like too good a deal to pass up right now, but just wait until your deployment is over. It's better to wait and know for sure then to be impatient and wind up with a lump of useless metal on your hands. There will be other deals that are too good to pass up when you get back.

Last edited by CMcNam; 04-28-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So how much was it?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:41 PM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Didn't seem like the guy knew a whole lot. But he took care of it. Definitely showed. I actually wanted to tone it down some. Like 400rwhp. I'll try to get more pictures.

Just under $14k

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought a '06 supercharged mustang. Questions