Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

18's Vs 20's

Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Default 18's Vs 20's

Hey Everyone,

I understand that the 18's are better performance wise, but I really like the look of the 20's. I am basically looking to see how drastic of a difference there is (performance wise) between the two. Specifically in turning/cornering, and pick-up. If there isn't a huge difference I will most likely go with the 20's.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

20's are typically heavier than 18's so you're adding additional rotational mass. On a GT, a few people would never notice. But on your V6, you WILL notice any additional mass.

With 20's, you have less sidewall in order to maintain the equivalent OE outside diameter (O.D.). Less sidewall usually means a stiffer/harsher ride and will increase the possibility of a bent wheel from potholes.

Then there are those that think 20's on most Stangs look poorly (can you say clown car?). Of all the Stangs that I've seen with 20's, MAYBE 5% of them look appealing. Of the other 95%, all you see is wheel and then "oh, yeah, look there's a car attached to them". But then, that's just my opinion.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:32 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
on your V6, you WILL notice any additional mass. Less sidewall usually means a stiffer/harsher ride and will increase the possibility of a bent wheel from potholes. Of all the Stangs that I've seen with 20's, MAYBE 5% of them look appealing. But then, that's just my opinion.
Everything you have said all makes sense, I read on another thread that 20's can drop down nearly 10 HP/TQ. When you say "harsher," how harsh are we talking? I feel like my suspension has always hit like a ton of bricks. (I would like to get air ride suspension eventually but that's a different story)

These are the rims I am looking at purchasing.. Maybe they are in your 5%
http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-...eels-0511.html
Old 05-12-2013, 03:33 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

18 is the perfect muscular stance for these cars.......IMO of course. Pimp yo ride 20's, no thanks. LOL Those wheels will look awesome.....in 18's of course.

Last edited by 808muscle; 05-12-2013 at 03:34 AM. Reason: `
Old 05-12-2013, 04:41 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

My opinion is any wheel above 19" is too much, as to air suspension, saw a thread yesterday of a black stang w/22", not pretty!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:59 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by audioAl
My opinion is any wheel above 19" is too much, as to air suspension, saw a thread yesterday of a black stang w/22", not pretty!
Of course the rim I want doesn't come in a 19, If there was a 19 my decision might be a lot easier. (Tire selection factors in as well) And please, go on.. was it because of the 22's or the suspension? I think 20's are pushin it as is.. 22's on a Mustang is just stupid honestly.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Pimp yo ride 20's, no thanks. LOL Those wheels will look awesome.....in 18's of course.
Lol, thanks! I wasn't even going to consider the 20's until I saw that they were actually cheaper than the 18's..
Old 05-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangMuscle
Everything you have said all makes sense, I read on another thread that 20's can drop down nearly 10 HP/TQ.
It is a waste of time trying to correlate wheel diameter to "HP/TQ loss". You need to know quite a few more things in order to make even a halfway intelligent guess.

Putting 20's on an early-year sixxer may project a somewhat unexpected (and less than favorable) image in some circles.

When you say "harsher," how harsh are we talking? I feel like my suspension has always hit like a ton of bricks. (I would like to get air ride suspension eventually but that's a different story)
Put at least 5 psi more in all of your tires and see if you can stand that much additional harshness. Make that closer to 10 psi more to see if you could stand it all of the time.

These are the rims I am looking at purchasing.. Maybe they are in your 5%
http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-...eels-0511.html
Appearance has to be your call and your call alone. With imitation 2-piece/3-piece styling, those would be too "busy" for me.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-12-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you want 20s for looks, it's entirely up to you, just like Norm said. Everyone else will have opinions, and not a single one of them matters.

If you are looking for performance benefits, then go with the 18s.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:26 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Put at least 5 psi more in all of your tires and see if you can stand that much additional harshness. Make that closer to 10 psi more to see if you could stand it all of the time.

Appearance has to be your call and your call alone. With imitation 2-piece/3-piece styling, those would be too "busy" for me.Norm
Thanks, that sounds like a good comparison.
Well, IMO rims are a lot about appearance. What do you mean by "busy?" Would 2 or 3 piece rims perform differently than a solid piece? I know a solid piece would obviously be stronger but besides that what else?

Search this Thread