Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest, safest, reliable way to lower my car?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Default Cheapest, safest, reliable way to lower my car?

Hey;

So next plan is to lower my mustang, it looks like a 4x4. I asked a few people and i keep hearing different things, some say, you just need lowering springs, but others say that if i just get lowering springs, the wheels will cave in and will also wear my tires in no time.

one of my friends say, the only way to do it is to go all out and buy the $800 to $1500 kit and have it installed. I do not want to spend that kind of money.

What if i just get the lowering springs, Americanmuscle got good ones with good reviews, what else would i need? do i need the chamber plates? and how would i go about lowering it without the wheels caving in. Excuse my stupid questions, i know pretty much nothing about lowering vehicles.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steven Bannoura
Cheap, safe, reliable.
Pick two.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Pick two.
Cheap and reliable :P
Old 05-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

FRPP 1" lowering springs. Eventually you'll want to upgrade the struts because it'll bounce on every single bump and that's not safe at all if you're going fast through a turn.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:21 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Cool

If you go 2" then defiantly get spring kit & castor/camber plates.

You can lower the car 1"-1.5" w/o adding caster/camber plates but will have some negative wear on the front tires. If you rotate often then its not really a prob.

If you have a staggered setup where you cant rotate tires then you need the CC plates. I have the plates but havent installed them yet. The correct way is to get a good kit like Eibach AND caster/camber plate and have it re-aligned.

If you want really cheap then just cut out 1/2 or 1 full coil out of springs. If you dont like that then spend the cash on the parts.

Last edited by FrostByte; 05-12-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Lokota
2nd Gear Member

I have the srbperformance springs from american muscle that go for 160$ and have had no tire issues at all, just get an alignment once installed
Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lokota
I have the srbperformance springs from american muscle that go for 160$ and have had no tire issues at all, just get an alignment once installed
did you install anything else or just the springs? how does it ride? and why would someone say that the tires would cave in if i just do lowering springs? I am also not trying to go too low, 1.5 is good enough
Old 05-12-2013, 11:55 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steven Bannoura
did you install anything else or just the springs? how does it ride? and why would someone say that the tires would cave in if i just do lowering springs? I am also not trying to go too low, 1.5 is good enough
Because they know not what they speak of. Dont take ANY advice from that person. Especially if they say "wheels will cave in". doh.

Lowering was my first mod and have gone thru MANY sets of tires. Still havent found out why the rears wear so much more quickly. By the time I noticed any wear on shoulders of front tires the rears were already smooth across the whole tire.

Personally I think that if your tires get a chance to wear badly or get weather cracked or other age related issues that YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG and prob should be driving a Prius.

Last edited by FrostByte; 05-12-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

I appreciate the replies, i think the best thing for me to do is stop by the local Performance shop ( luckily i have one 20 minutes away from my house) and have them look at it and tell me how much it costs to lower it the proper way. I am pretty sure i will be looking at a $1500 bill at least
Old 05-12-2013, 12:27 PM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

I had big O tires install my springs lowered it 1" up front and 2" on the back had to add c.c. Plates in front to angle it right. Drove lowered for 4yrs but now ive had to buy some tekico D specs shocks because the ride is very bumpy especially if you hit a bump doing 80mph fills like your flying.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheapest, safest, reliable way to lower my car?