Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Buying a SCT bama tuner! Help!,

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Simpson.N09

Default Buying a SCT bama tuner! Help!,

Guy has a Steeda CAI and a SCT tuner for sale. How do I find out if the tuner isn't married to the previous mustang? So if I buy it, it will work.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:48 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Even if it's not married to the previous owners car, his PCM code may be different and still will not be compatible with your car. You should plan on still having to pay a tuner to provide a tune specific to your ride, and offer to pay taking that into account.

Good luck,
Don
Old 05-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Simpson.N09

What's PCM? He had a 2012 GT and mine is a 2011 GT it should be okay right?
Old 05-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

Even though this is a picture of a 4.6, the 5.0 is about the same location. Tuners are specific to the type of PCM used. There are multiple versions used in the 5.0, and what works for one car, may not work for yours. Especially when you get a tune from BAMA, they always ask for your PCM's code to make sure their tunes will not screw anything up.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:04 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simpson.N09
What's PCM? He had a 2012 GT and mine is a 2011 GT it should be okay right?
Welcome to the world of Mustangs... lol... I know I was asking what a PCM was at one time.. as you learn more you'll understand more... I would recommend maybe going to a few of the vendor websites and see how much they charge to provide a tune if you bring (figuratively speaking) to them. This might also provide you some insight in what they will need from you to perform this.

My worry is that the current owner had to know this. How else would they have been able to get the tune, right? They had to provide that code to the vendor. Why would they not mention this to you too? I hope this is not a friend, but rather a stranger.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask some of your questions here in the tech forum... just do us all a favor and use the search function first.

Don
Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Simpson.N09
Guy has a Steeda CAI and a SCT tuner for sale. How do I find out if the tuner isn't married to the previous mustang? So if I buy it, it will work.
Yes that device will work on your Mustang. You just need to be sure that he removed the tune off of his car before he sold it and that its unmarried! You can view the status of Married vs Unmarried in device/vehicle info.

If the device is unmarried, you're good to go and just need to get tunes written for your modifications! If it's married, the device will need to be sent back to SCT to be unlocked. There's a fee of $150 for that process from SCT!

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 PM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

Better hope he has pre-loaded octane tunes for that CAI model if not you will have to get it tune for your mods if you have any. Believe me makes a big difference if you get it tune by Bama for your mods on the car.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:18 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Any updates OP? Did you end up getting it? If so, what deal did you work out? If not, what are your plans now?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:36 PM
formerstanglover

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
Yes that device will work on your Mustang. You just need to be sure that he removed the tune off of his car before he sold it and that its unmarried! You can view the status of Married vs Unmarried in device/vehicle info.

If the device is unmarried, you're good to go and just need to get tunes written for your modifications! If it's married, the device will need to be sent back to SCT to be unlocked. There's a fee of $150 for that process from SCT!

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
Dan,
So, if I were going to use the SCT tuner from you guys that I had for a 2011 v6 I would need to flash the v6 back to stock in order to use the tuner (with new tunes from you guys of course) for a 2014 gt that I am buying?