5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Won't stay running

Old 05-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

Default Won't stay running

Ok give you the full story! Car was running fine "1988 gt " pulled out on to high way started bang through gears then she started spitting and sputtering then gas light came on! Slapped self in head I'm out of gas. Put gas in and does same thing. Towed home changed fuel filter. Thinking it was plugged from running low on gas. Does same thing I can get it to start but I have to pump the throttle to get it started. When it starts it won't rev up l like its not getting enough fuel. Any help would be appreciated. Fuel pump isn't that old changed it a few years back but not saying that isn't the issue., please help mustang week in myrtle is coming up and need her running! Thanks in advance!!!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Well normally the gas light comes on when you have a couple gallons left.. It's a warning light, not a too late light. I'm thinking plugged cats since you describe the problem happened while banging gears pulling out(giggity). Could be gas related anyway, maybe the pumps dead. Did the light come on because the car died and all the other lights came on too? Cuz that happens if it dies.

Now that I think about it, it could be a fuel pressure issue, but because of the lines. Fuel slosh from your spirited driving could have snapped the tank baffle loose, and ripped out from under the pump(happened to me). Bent my lines. Coulda snapped 'em.

Last edited by mattdel; 05-20-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

If he was low on gas banging through the gears could have dislodged a chunk of crap in his tank and gotten stuck up in the pump. Had that happen as well.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you might just have a clog in your system, just as BabyGT said. Are you sure the pump is getting power? Turn your key to "on" but don't try to start it, if you don't hear the hum, either the pump isn't getting juice or it has passed on to the well populated foxbody fuel pump afterlife as mattdel said. Best of luck!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:51 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

If the pump wasn't getting power it would not run at all, sounds like you might have a chunk of crap lodged in the pickup for the pump.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for help! Pump is getting power I can hear it wine when it is Keyed on wines then shuts off like normal! No cats on car. Could it be the pressure regulator?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 PM
pedalhappy
1st Gear Member

may sound like a dumb answer but it happened to my buddies 98 ws6. Check the throttle cable and make sure the TB is functioning. sounds like your throttle cable isnt even connected with it not revving but they can and do pop out sometimes which is rare but. also my 07 has TBW but I had an issue like that and itss cause the TB was not functioning
Old 05-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

Cable is connected I can spray starter fluid in throttle body and go back to driver seat and it will rev like it should. So I don't think it would be the cable. :-(
Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 AM
The Alien
1st Gear Member

I agree with the pump issue; sometimes, even if it makes noise, it doesn't have enough pressure for internal issues.

do you have a gas pressure gauge to use on the injector line to check?

2nd option (but you should have the engine light on if so)
you have an intake leak or some depression tube broken (check the brake pump membrane, but it's very rare)
Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

Ok I messed with it a little more today I can start it if I continually pump gas and to keep it running I have to pump the throttle if I stop it dies

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Won't stay running