Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Taking my Mustang to Sebring...what can break?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:35 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Default Taking my Mustang to Sebring...what can break?

Hello all....I'm off to Sebring raceway this weekend to learn some race driving techniques on the track with an instructor. My V6 is stock except for a duals, tune and CAI. Completely stock suspension. Runs great and is ready to go. What can I expect to possibly go wrong with the car, besides wrecking her? I heard top end is 108 mph, where the limiter takes over. I've got to drive home in her after. Any advise will help to calm my nerves and excitement!

BTW, my thermostat housing has been changed.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by flyhigh@mach1
Hello all....I'm off to Sebring raceway this weekend to learn some race driving techniques on the track with an instructor. My V6 is stock except for a duals, tune and CAI. Completely stock suspension. Runs great and is ready to go. What can I expect to possibly go wrong with the car, besides wrecking her? I heard top end is 108 mph, where the limiter takes over. I've got to drive home in her after. Any advise will help to calm my nerves and excitement!

BTW, my thermostat housing has been changed.

I wouldn't worry about the rev limiter. I was only hitting ~128 there in my 2006 GT on the stock tune (but with suspension & tire mods)

The biggest issue I predict for you is wearing out the brakes. That track is hard on brakes. If you haven't upgraded your brakes recently, you'll probably go through what you've got on the car now.

You'll have fun though. I love that place. Wish I could go this weekend.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Keep an eye out for the turbo'd black GT with the KR front and the silver notch w/ the 5.0L coyote swap
Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I'd say more then likely you will destroy your brakes like mentioned above and probably warp the rotors if you are on them too long. I went on a mountain run awhile ago with the stock V6 rotors and warped them, also had really bad heat fade of the brakes so keep that in mind.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:51 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Good news if you do warp them or burn them out. Get some nice Brembo breaks with the air cooling vents.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:26 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Change your brake fluid to something like ATE Super Blue or Motul. You want fluid that can stand the heat.

Since you're changing your fluid and have to bleed the brakes anyway, change your brake lines to either Boss 302 or steel braided (Boss 302 is cheaper).
Old 05-23-2013, 04:39 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

I will definitely keep the brakes in mind. I plan on changing them when I get back. I'm no wild animal like I was back in the day. Many times had the faded brakes on my '71 Charger and '78 Trans Am. No fun on the street when that happens! Young and Dumb!
Old 05-26-2013, 04:38 AM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Sebring was fantastic! Recommend a driving course to everyone who wants to really find out what these cars can do! The car handled great and took some serious punishment. Discovered a small fluid leak on rear brake caliper area from all the hard braking after. Got to upgrade now!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Sebring was fantastic! Recommend a driving course to everyone who wants to really find out what these cars can do! The car handled great and took some serious punishment. Discovered a small fluid leak on rear brake caliper area from all the hard braking after. Got to upgrade now!
Note, it may very well be the axle bearing seal. It's a known issue on S197s.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Sounds like maybe the vent tube... or like what Sharad said...

Quick Reply: Taking my Mustang to Sebring...what can break?