Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Creaking

Old 05-26-2013, 04:58 PM
AntoThoro

Default Front Brake Creaking

hey guys, I was wondering if you might be able to help me identify this sound...

I'm hearing a creak towards the end of the brake pedal swing. It sounds like the creaking of metal. I thought it was related to a post about the pad clips being bent but no luck. I went ahead and added brake pad grease to the contact points and that did not help.

sound when depressing the brake.

In the sound clip the brake is being depressing several times to more clearly hear the sound.

AntoThoro
Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 AM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

Mine did that every once in a while. It went away when I upgraded to GT front disks. I flushed the old brake fluid and lubed all brake pedal pivot point at the same time. Lubricate the brake pedal pivot points first, then do fluid.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 PM
AntoThoro

Originally Posted by SteveDwsn
Mine did that every once in a while. It went away when I upgraded to GT front disks.
I'm assuming you swapped out the calipers with the brackets?

Yeah, I've been thinking about doing the same thing.. but I've got stock 16" wheels and can't fit the GT brackets under them.

Any idea what the root issue was?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 AM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Is it possible the rotor isn't seated all the way properly? I had that exact noise as I came to a stop and it was just my rotor not seated right. Doh!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 AM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AntoThoro
Any idea what the root issue was?
No, I don't have a concrete answer what the root issue was, but I feel the fluid had some part in it. My original thoughts were master cylinder or fluid, because I could almost control the noise by how hard I pressed on the brake pedal. During the upgrade, I didn't do anything to the master cylinder, so I am thinking 100,000 miles on probably the original fluid might be the culprit.

Also, after I bought it, the front brakes would squeal a little when the brakes were hot. My mechanic checked it out and said everything was fine. The Owner's Manual said this might happen with V6s, but not to worry. That went away completely with the GT rotors and ceramic pads.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 AM
AntoThoro

Originally Posted by conor1148
Is it possible the rotor isn't seated all the way properly?
I thought about that and took particular care in making sure it was squarely seated on the bolts. I even made sure to push the little retaining clip flush against the rotor to hold it in place while I put the tire on.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 AM
AntoThoro

My original thoughts were master cylinder or fluid, because I could almost control the noise by how hard I pressed on the brake pedal.
I'm noticing the same thing with being able to control the noise based on the strength\rate of the depression of the pedal. I've not tried to floor the pedal in a controlled environment to see if it gets worse or if it goes away at a certain pressure.

Did you notice if it changed based on speed of the tires? I'm not.

It went away when I upgraded to GT front disks.
Did you upgrade the calipers, brackets and rotors or just the brackets and rotors?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Stupid question, but is that sound from inside the cabin or outside by a particular wheel?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 PM
AntoThoro

Originally Posted by Nuke
Stupid question, but is that sound from inside the cabin or outside by a particular wheel?
Very good question. The recording was made with the car stationary in my drive way and the recorder being held near the brake.

The sound can be heard inside the cabin and outside. It is being emitted from the front brake while the wheels are in motion and not.

Using an auto-stethoscope the noise is the loudest on the caliper itself, then rotor, then bracket. I was not able hear anything that would shed light on the issue. it was just louder.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Sirsilent
2nd Gear Member

I have exactly the same problem. Car has 60,000 miles and still original brake fluid.

Did you figure out the problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Brake Creaking