Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

WHITELINE Watts Link Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:05 PM
2011GTBobby

Thumbs up WHITELINE Watts Link Review

First of all let me say this; I know my post count is low but that is because my lap top recently went bye-bye on me and here at work the usual forums I frequent are blocked. So I decided to join mustangforms.com (not blocked!) So to start out I will give a review of my newest mod!

Last week I installed the watts linkage from Whiteline on my 2011 Mustang GT.
This is the first and only modification I have done (so far) to the otherwise factory stock suspension.

Initial thoughts- Very impressed with the packaging and care that Whiteline took for shipping this assembly. Very hard and sturdy cardboard boxes and LOTS of bubble wrap to keep the parts from getting damaged on the way to me. The quality of the parts is outstanding as well. The welds are superb and the finish is very nice and looks durable.

Install- The main (well, only) complaint I have: Terrible, vague, and confusing instructions. The instructions leave so much to be desired I don't even know where to begin. For one thing, the torque specs are very confusing; it’s hard to tell which bolts are being referred to with the various torque specs required. I ended up breaking off a bolt because I thought it required 129 lb-ft but it only needed 55 lb-ft! Luckily I was able to easily reach that particular bolt with a power-drill and then an easy-out. I went to a nearby Fastenal for a replacement bolt. The install itself is simple enough overall, but the directions actually make it confusing if you try to follow them 'step-by-step.'

The packet also includes a section with directions for adjusting the watts arms (after install is complete) to get the axle centered. This part was so poorly written it made the rest of the instructions look almost decent! I ended up just getting the car on a level surface and hanging weighted fishing line from each fender, then squeezing under the car (good thing I am thin and ride-height is still at stock!!) to make the adjustments until the tires were evenly close to the hanging string on each side.

What Whiteline should do is include a diagram with all parts labeled and the torque specs with a line for each bolt/nut. Rewriting the directions entirely would also probably not be a bad idea. I know they were probably written on the other side of the globe (Australia), but surely there can't be that much lost in translation!!

Other than the terrible instructions, everything else was great. The parts fit perfectly and are far better quality then the OEM parts that they replace. Obviously the person who wrote the instruction sheet is not the same chap who designed this watts. Also, zero modification (drilling, cutting, etc.) was required. Everything just bolted right into place.

Don't forget to pick up some gear oil and friction modifier, as the install requires you to drain and replace the differential fluid. You also might want to by a pump to get the fluid into the fill hole. You can't just poor it in with a funnel as when changing you engine oil. I used an $8 hand pump from AutoZone but be careful, the gear oil is somewhat thick and some hand pumps might night stand up to pumping it (many are only meant for gasoline and thin liquids like that).

Driving Impressions- It’s night and day! The rear suspension now feels as if it is working in unison with the front, instead of against it. Ride quality has dramatically improved when going over bumps and rough road. Hitting bumps mid corner no longer upsets the car the way it did before. If I didn't know better and drove the car, I would completely believe somebody if they told me they had replaced my LRA with a fully independent rear suspension... Coming out of turns hard, it is MUCH easier to evenly apply power and just zip out; NONE of the sling-shot feeling that would wiggle the car’s rear around right when I am trying to straighten out after a hard fast turn.
It feels as if the rear shocks are now adapting to the road where before it felt like the rear wheels just bounced in reaction. It is most noticeable on uneven pavement. It just seemed like all of the suspension was working and adjusting in unison, I can't think of a better way to describe it.

Another good point; no noise, no increased NVH. If anything, NVH has actually decreased! The bushings are some of the best of this type I have seen. Impressive.

The improvement is so good that if I had it to do over again, I would have installed this Watts link the day I bought the car! It is really that much better.
Keep in mind that this GT is a daily driven car and the rest of the suspension is still factory. This one upgrade has done a LOT for the handling and ride quality.

The next suspension mod on my list is front & rear sway bars from Whiteline to cut down on body-roll and understeer. I can't wait!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:48 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

I put my Whiteline Watts link in 3 weeks ago. I agree 100% with your review. It seems like the rear suspension is actually working now. I also did the Whiteline rear sway bar which seems to work very well also.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:25 PM
2011GTBobby

Nice! Are you using the stock front sway bar with the Whiteline rear? If so what stiffness setting do you have it on? Is the rest of yoyr suspension stock?

I am planning to install the rear sway bar first, then drive it around a bit before installing the front. I like to add one mod at a time when it comes to suspensions so that I can really judge the differences that each individual mod makes, and to get used to said differences.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:40 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I just bought one; it's waiting for me to install it when I get home in a month. While I'm disappointed the instructions don't seem up to snuff, I'm glad to hear everything else. Thanks for the well-written review, I'm really excited to put mine on and take it to the track!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:42 PM
2011GTBobby

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I just bought one; it's waiting for me to install it when I get home in a month. While I'm disappointed the instructions don't seem up to snuff, I'm glad to hear everything else. Thanks for the well-written review, I'm really excited to put mine on and take it to the track!
It isn't super complicated, but having a laptop handy to look up pictures of other peoples installs will definitely be handy. Just be patient and don't over torque any bolts, like I did! lol.

You'll love the way your Stang's butt is glued to the tarmac after this is installed. IRS cars, eat your heart out! hahaha
Old 06-07-2013, 10:30 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

i just watched the AM review of this product.. i was considering getting the Eibach Pro-System Plus along with an Adjustable Pan-hard bar... but then i saw this product.

so here's the real question, is this watts link worth the extra (roughly) $700 over an adjustable pan-hard bar? my mustang is a DD, and will rarely, if ever, see track time. anyone have suggestions on this one?

btw, thanks for making this thread. i was just starting to research these products.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:56 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011GTBobby
Nice! Are you using the stock front sway bar with the Whiteline rear? If so what stiffness setting do you have it on? Is the rest of yoyr suspension stock?
I already had a Steeda front sway bar, so I left that on the car. That is set to the middle of the 3 holes. New Whiteline rear bar is set to the 2nd hole from the end. I use Koni STR.T struts & shocks, stock springs in front & Roush rear springs, Steeda LCA's, BMR Relo brackets and an adj J&M UCA

Last edited by jpplaw; 06-07-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:06 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
so here's the real question, is this watts link worth the extra (roughly) $700 over an adjustable pan-hard bar? my mustang is a DD, and will rarely, if ever, see track time. anyone have suggestions on this one?
Is it worth it? Tough question to answer, yes, it is expensive, but I really like the way the car feels. Roads everywhere are getting worse and worse all the time, and this mod has really helped with ride quality. This is the first suspension mod that has really made a big difference
Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 AM
2011GTBobby

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
i just watched the AM review of this product.. i was considering getting the Eibach Pro-System Plus along with an Adjustable Pan-hard bar... but then i saw this product.

btw, thanks for making this thread. i was just starting to research these products.
Short answer; YES, it is 100% worth it.

My car is a DD as well, and any time you go over rough road the watts will shine and make you smile. No more of the back end bouncing all over the place, etc. The suspension with the watts actually absorbs bumps rather than reacts to them. It is pretty amazing. Like I said, if I had known how good it was I would have installed it the day I bought my car!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:06 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

many thanks to everyone for the input.. but at the same time, NO THANKS! because now, a simple pan hard bar won't do! i gotta shell out extra cash for the better part... but seriously, thanks. haha

Quick Reply: WHITELINE Watts Link Review