Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Whiteline rear suspension problems

Old 06-15-2013, 11:47 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default Whiteline rear suspension problems

When I left the panhard bar the stock length, the differential was way too far to the left and was up against the swaybar. So I shortened the bar to move the differential to the passenger side and now it's centered fine.

After driving it around and letting it settle, still seems ok.

But now the differential is way off center in relation to the chassis, and is jutted to the right too far.

So, let the parts hit each other, or run dogged down the road?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:02 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Using the panhard bar, adjust it so that your rear end is centered with respect to the body. Then adjust your rear stablizer, so that it does not touch the differential. Otherwise you are putting undue strain on your rear end and driveshaft. Make sure final adjustments are made with the tires on the ground, and the rear end loaded.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:01 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by freyes
Using the panhard bar, adjust it so that your rear end is centered with respect to the body. Then adjust your rear stablizer, so that it does not touch the differential. Otherwise you are putting undue strain on your rear end and driveshaft. Make sure final adjustments are made with the tires on the ground, and the rear end loaded.
How, it's bolted solid to the chassis and differential. There is no lateral adjustment.

Last edited by baddog671; 06-15-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:12 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Are there any spacers you can swap or add at either the end link chassis mount site or the end link sway bar mount site to move it laterally?
Old 06-15-2013, 02:26 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

There are no spacers provided other than the ones in the first picture of my last post. And even that isn't an adjustment spacer, merely something to fill the gap.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:51 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Looks like you have the spacers in there correctly. They go on the inboard side of the top of each drop link. My drivers side is closer to the pumpkin than the passenger side but it isn't hitting it. I just crawled under the back of mine in my driveway and checked. Are you looking at it with the suspension loaded? Spacing may change from loaded to unloaded.

If all else fails, maybe loosen the U clamps and try to move the bar a bit to the drivers side, then tighten up good?

Definitely even out the rear with the PH bar, regardless.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:09 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Slithered underneath and took some pics of mine:
Name:  135_zpsacafd54f.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  133_zpsa16375cd.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  131_zpsa05ecd99.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  75.4 KB

Old 06-16-2013, 06:04 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpplaw
Looks like you have the spacers in there correctly. They go on the inboard side of the top of each drop link. My drivers side is closer to the pumpkin than the passenger side but it isn't hitting it. I just crawled under the back of mine in my driveway and checked. Are you looking at it with the suspension loaded? Spacing may change from loaded to unloaded.

If all else fails, maybe loosen the U clamps and try to move the bar a bit to the drivers side, then tighten up good?

Definitely even out the rear with the PH bar, regardless.
I was looking at it both unloaded and then loaded, and both are pretty much the same.

I went back to the garage today and since having the rear end aligned is a greater concern, I went ahead and solved that via the PHB. It is centered now within a 1/4".

Of course, this put the little buttress on the differential immediately beside the sway bar again. However, I was able to remedy this situation (at least for the time being) by slightly rotating the mounting brackets backwards. This put the buttress in a different plane than the sway bar.
-
JP, my set-up does NOT look like that. Your swaybar looks like it is it mounted much lower than mine. I wonder if I somehow got shorter brackets than you? Looks like your bar is a good inch from the buttresses, mine is millimeters. I need to get my actually camera instead of my Ipod

Last edited by baddog671; 06-16-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:26 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Looking at your pics is does kinda look like you got shorter brackets than mine.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:51 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I looked at some old pictures of when I first installed everything (I've been dealing with this for about 2 months) and your brackets are FOR SURE different than mine. I don't have any close ups, but in this picture look, the brackets are so short the bushing is immediately next to the tubing. On yours, there is at least an inch gap, if not more...

Also, your brackets look twice as thick metal as mine...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whiteline rear suspension problems