Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Disc brake conversion question.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:54 PM
ponyyboyy

Default Disc brake conversion question.

Hey guys,
I have spent the last few hours doing some research but I am just confusing myself some more. I have a 1967 mustang ( 5 lug V-8 ) and most articles I come by discuss a Granada, Falcon or Fairlane swap of some sort. While cruising my local junk yard this morning I came across a 66 mustang with disc brakes.

A set up off this Mustang would convert over wouldn't it? What parts would I need, for instance would my current spindles be fine since they are 5 lug? I guess I have questions because there must be a reason why this is not a popular swap and most articles cover the Granada etc.

Did I just not look hard enough and maybe the 66 junkyard stang was a 4 lug rotor? I remember it being a V 8 car, I thought the 6 cylinders were the 4 lugs only but maybe I am wrong. Any help would be appreciated since I would like to go down and get them before someone else swoops on them, Thanks in advance - Ponyyboyy
Old 06-15-2013, 05:42 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

You have the ABSOLUTE Correct spindles on you Classic right now to install the 67 Factory Correct Shelby style Disc Brakes.

To put Granada Brakes on your car is a Total, uncalled for mistake--Why?

Dan @ Chockostang
Old 06-15-2013, 05:50 PM
ponyyboyy

Default Would they fit

I will do some research on this Shelby swap, but when I hear Shelby one of my first thoughts is $$. Do you know if the 66 coupe disc set up work?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:03 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Just get a Wilwood kit, some of the best brakes available and affordable.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm with Chokostang. I have the OE-style Kelsey-Hayes brakes on my '67, which are the same from '65-67. You can bolt on the '66 brackets, calipers, and rotors without having to swap the spindles (and risk bump-steer issues from incorrect steering arm geometry). You'll need to figure replace the m/c, replumb some hard lines, and add a prop valve, but I'd ****** those brakes in a heartbeat.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:31 PM
ponyyboyy

Thanks guys. Can anyone point me in the right direction, maybe a link or site I can research on these shelby style brakes. I am not familiar with this at all.
@ Starfury, I am not sure I understand what you are saying, I should snag these brakes up from the junkyard or go with the shelby style? Does the shelby style use the same parts the 66 offers? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this subject guys, I appreciate the help.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

They are just Ford- kelsey Hayes calipers, it's the standard disc brake for fords and had nothing to do with Shelby. I think they changed calipers in 68?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:31 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chockostang
To put Granada Brakes on your car is a Total, uncalled for mistake--Why?
I agree.

Originally Posted by ponyyboyy
I will do some research on this Shelby swap, but when I hear Shelby one of my first thoughts is $$. Do you know if the 66 coupe disc set up work?
Factoid- The 66 coupe disc brakes were- you guessed it- the exact same brakes used on the Shelby.

What's more, you can get the entire setup, all new parts (no old rotors etc to clean up, refinish, or rebuild) and the Shelby-type won't require a wheel alignment, while the Granada will- which means that Granada brakes, after a ton of work getting them ready to use, and installing, will end up costing you more than OEM brakes, and the all-new OEM brakes can be installed in an afternoon, with no special tools. You'll want the 67 of course, they were slightly different from the 65-66.

Here they are, you can have them on the car for under $600.

Here's an actual 67 Shelby-

Last edited by 2+2GT; 06-18-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:00 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
They are just Ford- kelsey Hayes calipers, it's the standard disc brake for fords and had nothing to do with Shelby. I think they changed calipers in 68?
Shelby used whatever the Mustang came with in a given year. 65-67 had the Kelsey/Hays 4-piston fixed calipers. In 68, Ford switched to a single-piston floating caliper, which required a unique spindle, unlike the K/H, which used the same spindle as the drum brakes.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

First off, I'd snag that disc setup off that boneyard '66 so fast it'd make your head spin.

But because I am just that kind of a guy, I have to buck the trend.

Why the hate for the Granada brakes? I have put them on a few 1st gen Mustangs and in every instance they were light years ahead of the factory drums.

I put Granada discs on my fastback about 20 years ago and other than changing the pads a few times haven't had to give them another thought.

Yeah, there are certainly better setups but it has been my experience bang for the buck they've been tough to beat.

Last edited by fastbackford351; 06-18-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disc brake conversion question.