5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Pulley Set

Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Default Pulley Set

Do they make a standard pulley set for the SN cars? I've spent all this week and all I find are underdrives, which from what I've read these cars don't like very much. I'd rather not use the stock pulleys since the 302 in the car is a bit noisy and squeaky. Pretty sure the bearings in the pulleys are shot
Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you should be able to order a lot of the stock pullies either through Napa or your local dealer or look in the classifieds on forums and post an ad, Gauranteed there are plenty out there with stock pullies laying around
Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Ive tried looking at Autozone and Oreilly, all they have are the BBK and Spectre (?) underdrives. Have you used underdrives?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
Ive tried looking at Autozone and Oreilly, all they have are the BBK and Spectre (?) underdrives. Have you used underdrives?
somewhat, but my rides pulley systems are more so configured with stuff to accomadate my set ups, for example, I run a cobra overdrive on my s/c vert and a windstar pulley on the power steering, had to do this so belt wouldn't rub as I run a p/s relocate, on my 85 I run a underdrive on the crank and that's it as I run a meziere elec water pump with idler built in and alt is a powermaster pulley
Old 06-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Just so you know the pulleys do not have bearings in them. They are steel or aluminum. Bearings are in the components. Under drive pullies dont hurt anything except the alternator. Just run the stock pulley on it and youll be fine.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

^^^Oh, well that makes sense. Its squeaky nonetheless. I want the pulleys to at least match colors lol, I wonder if its possible to powdercoat them without the paint rubbing off
Old 06-20-2013, 06:01 PM
89fiveeight
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
I wonder if its possible to powdercoat them without the paint rubbing off
You'll probably lose some color where you have constant contact with the belt, but you can get a diy home kit and do it in the oven. My buddy did it with a lot of his bike parts 2+ years ago and they still look great.

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Under drive pullies dont hurt anything except the alternator. Just run the stock pulley on it and youll be fine.
If there's an underdrive on the crank and a stock pulley on the alternator will that affect belt length?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

If you run the water pump and crank pulley it will not affect it enough to need a different belt length. The tensioner can take up any slack.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I'd have a crank pulley, alt, water pump, and a/c
Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Never seen an a/c under drive. Those have clutches on the front. You sure it the a/c?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulley Set