Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on tuning for a novice

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Hajimu

Default Advice on tuning for a novice

I am a relatively new mustang owner, and am looking for ways to improve its performance. I have a 2007 stock mustang manual transmission v6. I am not looking to dive into replacing the drive train/major engine work, etc. (after all it is my daily driver and get me to work car) I just want to start simple and work my way up- in order to get a better feel for the car, and learn how to work on cars in general. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:27 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hajimu
I am a relatively new mustang owner, and am looking for ways to improve its performance. I have a 2007 stock mustang manual transmission v6. I am not looking to dive into replacing the drive train/major engine work, etc. (after all it is my daily driver and get me to work car) I just want to start simple and work my way up- in order to get a better feel for the car, and learn how to work on cars in general. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Cold Air Intake/SCT Tuner Combo Works wonders, really wakes the car up.

Catback/Axleback System gives increase in airflow and also makes the car sound more manly than the V6 does stock.

Headers, Long tubes for power, shorties for stock H Pipe and bonus sound.

New throttle body, Increase in air flow.

Just some basic bolt ons.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:28 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I'm sure one of the sponsors here has a V-6 cold air kit and tune package. Start with that.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Check out Brenspeed or American Muscle for tuning and CAI options. I dont know how much difference it will make on a v6 but on my v8 it improved my ET's from 13.90 to 13.43....... in other words, worth every penny!!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:48 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Gears? Did anybody mention those?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Scratch the TB unless you intend to stroke and bore or go FI.

+1 on the CAI & custom tune for the best 1st mod.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Hajimu

So I looked up after market throttle bodies and only found a bbk 70mm for sale. Does this mean that the stock throttle body is good enough, or is it just because its a v6 and not sporty enough to have more after market parts?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Wait, let me make a suggestion, haha. Get this CAI with the tuner and then http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTANG-2005-10-HIGHLY-PORTED-POLISH-4-0-THROTTLE-BODY-4-6-CROWN-VIC-/151065663564?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232c37184c. Aftermarket TBs get stuck and are of poor quality, this one is just a stock TB that has been bored out and polished smooth for better airflow. It really is a worthwhile mod that most people overlook. I think it would be perfect to do that at the same time as a CAI and tune. Just make sure to mention in the online tune thing that you have that new TB.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The stock TB's on these engines can handle more air than your stock or slightly modified engine can inhale. Aftermarket TB's on these cars not only do nothing for performance improvement (unless you're FI and/or have other internal mods that flow a lot more air), they've been known to be problematic. The best bang for your buck short of going FI is a CAI & tune. Additionally, other mods will require that you have the handheld in order that you can make the adjustment or have your tuner do the programming for you. American Muscle's (BAMA) tunes include free updates for life.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Hajimu

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I am going with the CAI/Tuner kit, and eventually replacing the rear axle with the GT axle.

Quick Reply: Advice on tuning for a novice