Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Cheap Rotor/Pad Upgrade (Drilled / Slotted)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

Default Cheap Rotor/Pad Upgrade (Drilled / Slotted)

Hey guys, just reporting an awesome deal on a drilled and slotted rotor kit for our V6 S197s.

Stage3Motor sports sells this kit for ALL 4 rotors AND performance pads for only $320 bucks.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/K13...Brake-Kit.html

I just installed them last week in about 2 hours and they look and perform great! They come as the exact same diameter as our stock rotors so there no caliper clamp upgrades you need to do. Direct bold on goodness.

Pads come with clamps and are a direct fit as well. I've attached some pics of the job. (Sorry for the camera phone pics)

Name:  YNzthk3h.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  113.0 KB
Name:  c0sehv6h.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  90.9 KB
Name:  x7FNcF7h.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  74.3 KB
Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 AM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

I like the look! It doesn't take much to change caliper brackets to GT part and get the bigger rotors. For street use, the stock size is just fine. What brand are the pads? I like the red calipers.....paint or powder coat?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flyhigh@mach1
I like the look! It doesn't take much to change caliper brackets to GT part and get the bigger rotors. For street use, the stock size is just fine. What brand are the pads? I like the red calipers.....paint or powder coat?
It's all PowerStop. The rotors and the pads. The kit comes with Here is their product page:
http://www.powerstop.com/products

The calipers are painted with some cheap VHT caliper paint from Autozone. $9 for the can and I like the look.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=419005_0_0_

It's not gloss, more of a satin finish though. I did about two coats to get the look I like.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:50 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Looks good. How does the braking feel now? The main reason I want to change my wheels for something bigger is so I can put GT sized rotors and caliper brackets on, these discs look much better than the ones in the FRPP package... If I can make it stop and turn better, then I'll start working on giving it power.

Why did you go with V6 size rotors up front?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by steev
Looks good. How does the braking feel now? The main reason I want to change my wheels for something bigger is so I can put GT sized rotors and caliper brackets on, these discs look much better than the ones in the FRPP package... If I can make it stop and turn better, then I'll start working on giving it power.

Why did you go with V6 size rotors up front?

Breaking feels awesome now, I can stop on a dime! I do need to pay attention to those behind me because they can't always stop as quickly I've noticed.

Basically, I would upgrade to bigger breaks if this damn car wasn't speed limited and there was an issue with breaking. I could remove the speed limiter but I haven't upgraded the drive shaft to be able to handle over 120MPH.

I didn't feel the need to upgrade to bigger brakes as I wouldn't have seen any real increase in feel for the V6. I opted for better brakes instead of bigger as a higher quality brake gives you more brake "bite" and high performance. The slots help with removing excess brake dust and the drilled design helps the rotors cool faster, which in turn decreases brake fade.

I was looking at the GT rotors for the front, but again, these V6 as much as we want, and not ultra high performance machines. So I took the bang-for-my-buck route.

You can upgrade to GT rotors, but I doubt you'll see real increase at the speeds most commonly driven. That's of course just my opinion.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

The one big thing I noticed when I went to brakes for a GT model, was the stopping distance. I put on the pads with the v6 rotors and did a stop test. Very nice even stop. I went back and switched out the brackets and went with new GT rotors in front. The difference was staggering. The same speed, showed the GT brakes stopping much shorter that the v6's. After that I took it on the mountain roads. The brakes never faded or failed like they would with the v6 setup. I'm glad I made the switch to the 12.4 rotors over the v6's 11.+ inch rotors. I'm happy that Ford decided to switch up the v6's now and give them good brakes. ABS was very limited on the v6's in 05-09 model years. The better, bigger brakes help offset that difference.

Last edited by akdoggie; 07-11-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by akdoggie
The one big thing I noticed when I went to brakes for a GT model, was the stopping distance. I put on the pads with the v6 rotors and did a stop test. Very nice even stop. I went back and switched out the brackets and went with new GT rotors in front. The difference was staggering. The same speed, showed the GT brakes stopping much shorter that the v6's. After that I took it on the mountain roads. The brakes never faded or failed like they would with the v6 setup. I'm glad I made the switch to the 12.4 rotors over the v6's 11.+ inch rotors. I'm happy that Ford decided to switch up the v6's now and give them good brakes. ABS was very limited on the v6's in 05-09 model years. The better, bigger brakes help offset that difference.
I will say that bigger brake will help with fade, but stopping power is up to the quality of the brakes themselves. I doubt stock GT brakes are as good as these aftermarket ones. Plus, I'm on flat Houston, TX highways/roads. I just need the stopping power to be consistent, and for my rotors to last longer.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:50 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Andrew Christian
.... I doubt stock GT brakes are as good as these aftermarket ones...
No they're not and you made a smart move IMO.